tradition pursuit lt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
today first day that i shot my ml. for some reason the primer 209 would not go off ..i opened the rifle and noticed that the firepin hit the primer off center [just like a rimfire] i thought it was because the [federal primers were too old] but after changing to winchester 209 primers the same thing happened .for some reason the primers don't ignite sometimes .has anybody had this problem ..

Sorry to hear about your situation. I had a Pursuit LT which was an early one and the trigger was very heavy which I understand that they have fixed that problem now. I did not have any problem with the primers going off and my firing pin hit was in the center of the 209 primer. I believe that you will likely have to return the rifle for repair or replacement. It sounds like something is machined off center. I don't have the rifle any more as I traded it for an NEF Huntsman.

thank's for the reply ..it's realy sad that i have to do theyre job ..the quality control should have found the problem ,not me ...this is my 3rd. muzzleloader , i had a remington and a rossi both shoot well ,and no problems ..TRADITION better do theyre home work or i will cancell them .

black powder said:
thank's for the reply ..it's realy sad that i have to do theyre job ..the quality control should have found the problem ,not me ...this is my 3rd. muzzleloader , i had a remington and a rossi both shoot well ,and no problems ..TRADITION better do theyre home work or i will cancell them .

Not sticking up for Tradition's but it can happen with any brand out there. Just not as often it seems. It's a shame about the primer problem. I'd try calling Tradition's customer service first and see if it is a simple fix. If not then you have to go through the bother of sending them back to be fixed....

ok cayuga i sent an e-mail to TRADITION [tech center] with a pic of my primers ..let's see what happens next ..

black powder said:
ok cayuga i sent an e-mail to TRADITION [tech center] with a pic of my primers ..let's see what happens next ..

Good luck with the e-mail. Personally, I have had better luck on the telephone where I can get one on one question and answer. Keep us posted as to what the results are. It is always interesting to learn how a company's customer service acts.

After my slow dial up was finally able to open the picture of the primers you posted. That does not look as off center as I first thought. Actually I have seen a lot worse then that.

Since you tried different brands of primers and still experienced problems, I would start to wonder about the strength of the bolt spring in the rifle. First I would check the firing pin and make sure there are no small burrs that are holding the thing up or slowing it down. I would also not use a heavy lube or grease on it. Only something light. Last if the pin is moving well and there is nothing holding it up, I would suspect it is not hitting the 209 primer hard enough and so some caps are more sensative then others and those are the ones going off... this to me would indicate the spring is not strong enough or the pin is not long enough.. it will be interesting to learn what Traditions says. This is the first of this kind post I have read on the LT.

black powder

Gee Whiz! after looking at your pictures I an really surprised those primers are not going off. That is a pretty decent divot, I have a couple of shotguns that do not hit that hard and I one old Mossberg that is farther off-center than that.... So I guess I am surprised....

Hope you get some answers... and I need to agree with cayugad if you can make the phone call it is usually more productive than e-mail...

Good luck....

sabotloader said:
black powder

Gee Whiz! after looking at your pictures I an really surprised those primers are not going off. That is a pretty decent divot, I have a couple of shotguns that do not hit that hard and I one old Mossberg that is farther off-center than that.... So I guess I am surprised....

Hope you get some answers... and I need to agree with cayugad if you can make the phone call it is usually more productive than e-mail...

Good luck....

some of the primers do go off ,but sometimes after 5 or 6 shots i get a dud and nothing happens ..

black powder

Just a thought - and you have probably already thought of this... but do you have another gun that you might try the mis-fired primers in?

It really looks like they are being hit hard enough to start them - Is there any way the firing pin mechanism could be dirty - corroded or something like that?

Has Tradition's replied back to you yet?

sabotloader said:
black powder

Just a thought - and you have probably already thought of this... but do you have another gun that you might try the mis-fired primers in?

It really looks like they are being hit hard enough to start them - Is there any way the firing pin mechanism could be dirty - corroded or something like that?

Has Tradition's replied back to you yet?

yes TRADITION has replied ,they told me to send the muzzleloader back to them .they will repair or replace ...

Well it is nice to know they are willing to take care of the problem in that manner. I have to admit, when I sent my traditional rifle into CVA/BPI the customer service was excellent. They fixed the rifle, no questions asked. And they did an excellent job on the rifle. I could not be more pleased with it.

It will be interesting to see what the problem really was with the rifle.

the yukons bear a suspicious resemblance to another muzzleloader ive seen somewhere . . . :D

well i got out my tools and repaired it my self .. the firing pin mechanism was too tight and not smooth ,so i polished everything ,i tried it out and all of the primers went off ..the firing pin still hits off center but no big deal as long as the primers go off.. question [1] anybody out they're that uses "teflon tape " on there breech plug ??????

blackpowder,

I have a traditions pro pursuit and I use teflon tape on the breech plug all the time. I also used it for my traditions lightning. Get a cleaning brush the same size as the bore and you'll have no trouble cleaning the teflon out of the bore threads

50cal

Latest posts

Back