Ready to sling some lead

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold on...what ate you shooting? Pyrodex RS, 209 primers, patches and round balls!
If your rifle's twist tate is faster than 1:48 you will likely not get good accuracy.

Hold on...what ate you shooting? Pyrodex RS, 209 primers, patches and round balls!
If your rifle's twist tate is faster than 1:48 you will likely not get good accuracy.
Hmm. It's a Traditions Tracker. I'm actually not sure what the twist is.

This is what they sold me at the store, except for the patches. I found the ones I first bought were way too thick and had trouble seating them, and it was impossible to pull a stuck bullet without removing the breach plug. Now that I have the breach plug tool, I'll not ever try extraction a

I've been doing "ok" so far with this combination so far at 100yds.

I loaned it to a guy friend of mine and he remarked I had done a good job sighting it in. He showed me his targets and he got nearly as good of groups as I did.

Your Tracker has a 1:28 twist. You would likely get better groups with a saboted bullet in the 250 to 300 gr range and a charge of 70 - 100 gr volume.
Quite frankly you would have been better served to ask here than someone at a store. Most of those guys don't know much about muzzleloaders.

Last edited:
Your Tracker has a 1:28 twist. You would likely get better groups with a saboted bullet in the 250 to 300 gr range and a charge of 70 - 100 gr volume.
Quite frankly you would have been better served to ask here than someone at a store. Most of those guys don't know much about muzzleloaders.
It's disappointing that a store dedicated to reloading and muzzleloaders would give me such bad advice.

I'm looking forward to seeing those groups. Are you a target hunter only?
I didn't think of that. If that's the case then possibly a Powerbelt would serve her well. They are accurate but so so on game. I only ever shot one deer with a Powerbelt bullet. I had a decent blood trail and found her pretty quick. It was shot out of a .50 cal GM Hawken flintlock 1:28 barrel at about 15 yards. This was many many moons ago and I believe my charge was 100 gr of FFFg.

The sad truth is the folks that work in stores like that are paid minimum wage, and talk about shooting a lot more than they actually do it.

Years ago, a friend interviewed to work in a local gun shop, and the shop’s only interest was in making sure he wasn’t a hunter, so he would be available to work during the hunting season rush.

I didn't think of that. If that's the case then possibly a Powerbelt would serve her well. They are accurate but so so on game. I only ever shot one deer with a Powerbelt bullet. I had a decent blood trail and found her pretty quick. It was shot out of a .50 cal GM Hawken flintlock 1:28 barrel at about 15 yards. This was many many moons ago and I believe my charge was 100 gr of FFFg.
I’ve killed a couple with powerbelts, and they did ok. I think I still have a few left over from the only package I ever bought.

Your barrel twist is designed for conical bullets. I have harvested deer with round balls but the conicals perform better and you don’t need a patch. Problem is there are so many choices. Power belts, lead and bonded full bore conicals, saboted bullets. The PB bullets are easy to load. Several kinds of black powder substitutes. To get the best accuracy you have to spend time at the range trying different bullets and powder loads. One of the things I like about muzzleloading.

Latest posts

Back