Thompson Center NW Hunter,New Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason S

Reaction score
Been having some problems with a Black Diamond I bought last year. Just flat won't shoot. Tried different powders, bullets every thing. Will not hold a point of impact and I have chased evrything I can think of with it.

I have been camparing it to my Austin Hellecks that I love for being shooters. They both shoot most everything accuratly. Probelm is living in Washington State I am committed and required to shoot #11's or Muskets exposed to the elements. They just recently let us shoot jacketed bullets for the first time this year. Too bad I bought 1000 340gr PR Bullet Dead Centers last year. Ohh well they still shoot great.

I wanted to get that BD shooting though because it wieghs nothing and on long stalks and hunts would be nicer than carrying my A&H. Like the feel of the gun. Read a ton of great stuff about them and have not heard of others having problems with them at all.

So I call TC's Customer Service to find out about sending in the BD> The lady on the line tells me of a new model being marketed for Washington, Oregon and Colorado that will be legal for us. She said it is called the NW Hunter. Has anyone seen or heard of this gun? Anyone shot one yet?

Guess I could use another ML. Might try it out. Would like to retire the A&H's to the gun safe. Theya re both great shooters though and I really do like them. Just want a gun to shoot like them and wiegh a couple pounds less.

only thing colorado asks is that it uses open sights and shoots conicals. Sounds like it will be exposed ignition.

Jason, Is your Black Diamond wood stocked or synthetic? I have both for mine and she does well with both.I did glass bed the walnut as the inletting was...generous , shall we say.lately she got the collywobbles on me and it turned out the rear recoil lug screw was 1/2 turn loose.I tightened itt up and she's right as rain again.I also found out that mine likes the stock screws TIGHT. Check the screw tension before giving up on the BD.Other points to check would be , is the nipple or 209 adaptor eroded? They seem to last about 400 rounds before replacement is necessary.I get best accuracy with musket caps. Another thing is bag placement when shooting from the bench.Mine likes the bag midway down the forend.If I have the bag near the triggerguard she's a slingshot.!/2 way down and she's under 2 inches all day and she's aperture sighted. Good luck!

It is synthetic also. I have tried it all and am out of options. I tried almost all of what you mentioned except really only tried three powders (GOEX, 777 and Pyrodex, all in loose form as I like loose powder).

I shoot fiber optic sights.

Just curious.. What weight powder charge have you tried? I have 2 BD and they'll shoot just about anything except Powerbelts with amazing accuracy. The most accurate load I've tried and other people I know use this load in their BD with similar results is 100gr 777 or Pyrodex pellets and a 240gr XTP (44 or 45cal) with the regular MMP sabots. The accuracy I get out of mine, I wouldn't hesitate a head shot @ 100 yds.

Your situation really has me baffled.

Thinking about it and this might be a dumb question, what rear sight are you using? I have scopes on mine, but I've never liked the design of the rear sights that TC uses. It might just be me, but it seems like they could move too easily if bumped around. And with how they adjust, if there's bad or loose thread engagement between the adjustment screw and actual sight, it could move. I haven't heard of any problems with them and it's just a thought.

Latest posts

Back