Pretty cool find….

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
We’ve been in Phoenix visiting a cousin since Monday. I noticed a Costa’s Hummingbird coming and going from a shrub while relaxing on the patio and curiosity finally got the best of me and I went over to check things out.

Here’s what I found….

506C6D66-65D4-4FA4-B84F-176836F63454.jpeg
A quarter could cover the nest. No eggs yet. Man this is tiny. Click on the picture to get a better look.

That's awesome MrTom. How did you even notice it?
During the spring and summer we get tons of ruby throated hummingbirds around here.
I have to refill the 2 feeders every day.
I always hoped to find a nest but so far no luck.

We get lots of hummingbirds here in my wife's flowers but i haven't been able to locate a nest recently. 3-4 years ago they were nesting in a lilac bush next door.

That's awesome MrTom. How did you even notice it?
We saw the bird repeatedly go into and out of the same area of a shrub. The shrub had no flowers so I figured the bird was nesting or building one so I had to look. The nest is so small that I really had to look just to find it. A quarter could cover the top and top to bottom I don’t think it’s more than 1-1/4”.

Interesting facts : females build the nest alone. The birds use upwards of a mile of spiderweb in making a single nest.

We saw the bird repeatedly go into and out of the same area of a shrub. The shrub had no flowers so I figured the bird was nesting or building one so I had to look. The nest is so small that I really had to look just to find it. A quarter could cover the top and top to bottom I don’t think it’s more than 1-1/4”.

Interesting facts : females build the nest alone. The birds use upwards of a mile of spiderweb in making a single nest.
Very cool for sure.

Back