XTP takes another one .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
Nothing BIG just a small 2x2 Mule deer but it was the first one for my encore . The muzzle loader deer season ended tonight and i took him at sunset . He came from a section of private property and crossed over a low fence into a wheat field that is a public walk in access area . I had scouted this area before and saw this very well used trail going down this guley over the fence and through this wheat field . I made a blind about 50 yards from the fence between the fence and the wheat field near a large rock, A herd of 15 deer( 4 small bucks , i shot the biggest ) started to cross the fence but winded me and went east crossing the fence 150+ yards away . Being the last day and no way to get closer i decide to take this long shot and put my cross hairs about 8'' over his shoulder . I had a very good rest and the XTP took him right down after entering high in his right shoulder and exiting his left shoulder . It was amazing how much noise the bullet made on impact . I forgot my jacket and will be going back out there tomorrow , its only a 30 minute drive from my home , I want to also step it off to see how far it was . I had about a 14''' inch drop ( should have put it right on his back ) using 90 grains of 777 and a 300 grain xtp bullet . I stopped off at a buddies house and he skinned and gutted it for me . I just wanted to show him my buck but he wanted the hide . :D Worked out great for me !!! I also did not have a camera with me, so he took a photo and will e-mail it to me soon . I really enjoyed this set up , it was like hunting white tail deer as they go from the bedding area to a food plot . This little guy was very well fed and fat . :D Should be some good eating !!

Well done, thats a long shot, I'm curious to hear the pace count.

:D :D :D

CONGRATS are in order :!: :!: Some nice shooting there :!: :!: Enjoy those back straps :!: :!: :!: :D

Excellent Rob. Good report.

Be careful when retrieving your jacket. I know it's a cliche`, but it seems that the shooters are always caught because they return to the scene of the crime. WCSI (Whitetail Crime Scene Investigations) may be monitoring the kill site!

TJJ said:
Well done, thats a long shot, I'm curious to hear the pace count.

I'm thinking it may be about 150 and don't feel its much over that .

Semisane said:
Excellent Rob. Good report.

Be careful when retrieving your jacket. I know it's a cliche`, but it seems that the shooters are always caught because they return to the scene of the crime. WCSI (Whitetail Crime Scene Investigations) may be monitoring the kill site!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations on the deer. I ate tag soup. Saw over 30 does, not a single buck. Lots of elk though and picked up a moose shed. I did catch the biggest fish I've ever caught on the Logan while I was up there. A big fat brown that came up on a small parachute adams. It was a treat and nice to be up when the trees were changing color. Hope to see some pics of your deer soon.

Congratualtions on the deer. That was a heck of a shot. And the XTP still had power to pass through. Very impressive. Sounds like not only a good hunt, but you have a good meat supply.

My congrats to you and my condolences to the deer family...

Nice job!

hjbuys said:
Congratulations on the deer. I ate tag soup. Saw over 30 does, not a single buck. Lots of elk though and picked up a moose shed. I did catch the biggest fish I've ever caught on the Logan while I was up there. A big fat brown that came up on a small parachute adams. It was a treat and nice to be up when the trees were changing color. Hope to see some pics of your deer soon.

The snow on the fall colors are beautiful right now . I have landed some nice browns ( 18-20'' ) just above the temple fork turn off . I need to get out next wek and do some fly fishing . The browns should be spawning and the cutts will be taking their eggs .

I love it when "Kentucky" windage or overage works.

Congratulations.

Chocdog

here is a photo from where i shot the buck . I rested my encore on the brush pile in the foreground . This brush pile was 30 yards east of the rock i was hiding by .The buck was standing at the two small brush piles( below arrow) it was 152 passes away . They crossed a fence just 40 yards to the left of the brush . I went back out there today with a camera and took these photos .

_11walkindeerrestMG_4594-1.jpg

here is the trail the deer were on when the winded me and then went east . They bed down under the flat mountain in the top of the photo and come down at sunset , then cross the fence and go into the wheat fields .

_11walkinlowfenceMG_4597.jpg

here is the rock i was hiding by when the deer started to cross the fence but winded me .

walkinblind_MG_4598.jpg

still waiting for my friend to e-mail me a photo of the buck . I sure wish i had taken a camera and taken my own photo of the buck lying in the field . It was the only time i did not have the camera , maybe that's what it takes, just leave my camera home .

choc-dog said:
I love it when "Kentucky" windage or overage works.

Congratulations.

Chocdog

when you can only use a 1 x scope that's about all you can do !! :D

Latest posts

Back