Did a LOT of shooting today....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
First off the bat, I wanted to shoot a few times with the new White 98 .451. I tried 75gr of both Swiss and Wano fffg blackpowder. I shot one group with each a 420gr Bullshop and a BB 460gr NEW.

IMG_0051.JPG

I'm gonna go up 5gr and see what happens on my next range trip. I really wanted to chrono the difference between Wano and Swiss but my chronograph battery was dead and no spare. Overall, I have a little more shooting to do and I have some Pyrodex P if all else fails! :D

Next up shot by laminate 10ML-II. I have shot more stuff with this muzzleloader than any other. Just a real consistant rifle:

IMG_0047.JPG

Just for fun I shot 46gr SR-4759 and a 250gr Ballistic Extreme. NOT so good. I knew it would shoot a 250gr BE/SST with 40gr N-110 so that was my next group. This gun always likes N-110.

Next up was the Traditions Pursuit II XLT. I moved the powder charge up from 100gr BH209 to 110gr. I shot the 275gr Ballistic Extreme in it for the first time and accuracy went downhill with the 250gr BE(100gr group was 0.82 inches). Finally I went to the 250gr SST....another great group.

IMG_0050.JPG

I think I'll just stick with that!

The LAST two guns shot on the same target. My blue/synthetic 10ML-II likes 275-300gr bullets but just for fun I tried 250gr BE 46gr SR-4759. Pretty good... Final group in the lower right corner was shot with my Camo/Weathershield Triumph..110gr BH209/250gr Bonded Shockwave.

IMG_0049.JPG

Best group of the day- Pursuit II XLT- 0.46
Runner up- Triumph- 0.64
Most fun to shoot- White 98

Looks like ya had fun!! Good shooting!

Try the BS 488gr'ers with 70gr. of the Swiss and see what happens in the 98.

I went BACK to the range this afternoon. I had some old White Power Punch 460gr I wanted to try as well as go up to 80gr with the other bullets. I managed to shoot to groups:

IMG_0054.JPG

Pretty big improvement! UNFORUNATELY...after I shot my first shot(where it should have been) of a third group, I think my SCOPE went south! In the top left corner is the first shot and follow that line down and right...THAT'S where the SECOND bullet hit! To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I shot another of the Power Punches....It hit low and to the right as well. Oh well the scope came off!

I wonder if you weren't having some issues with the scope all along? Put a good ol' 3x9 Leupold on there.

And Chuck, how about that trigger? 8)

Chuck,

Couple quick questions, 1) is that the normal velocity you are getting out of your savages with similar 4759 loads and 250 gr bullet? It seems low, any reason? 2) When are you going to get sick of that triumph and put it in the classified section? :lol:

Nice shooting! I'm hoping I can go tomorrow.

That bore has neveer seen plastic. :D

Bat, THANKS! :twisted: :D

Chuck, there is NO bulge just to be clear. Ignore the peanut gallery. :D

It sounds like a real good time. Although that's a lot of rifles to clean at the end of the day. :lol: :lol:

big6x6,

I don't mean to hijack, but could you measure the actual length of the ramrod on the Pursuit for me? I am looking for a replacement ramrod for a Rem Genesis. The Genesis rod is to short.
:(
Thanks!

Looks good. Sort of like longbow hunting... its not the arrow its the indian (i mean no pun). One day I'm dead on... next day I'm not. Are you squeezing off consistently?

WVHILLBILLYJLM said:
big6x6,

I don't mean to hijack, but could you measure the actual length of the ramrod on the Pursuit for me? I am looking for a replacement ramrod for a Rem Genesis. The Genesis rod is to short.
:(
Thanks!

24.5 inches on the nose!

bbairborne said:
Looks good. Sort of like longbow hunting... its not the arrow its the indian (i mean no pun). One day I'm dead on... next day I'm not. Are you squeezing off consistently?

Well, we'll see Wednesday. I know what you mean though...some days I can do no wrong...some days......well YOU know!

Back