A Lil VA Crabbin Fun!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Spent the last 5 days at my Chincotegue, VA 2nd or 3rd Home :lol: doing a lil flounder fishin, crabbin plus worked a lil relaxing in too!! :lol:

Fishin was tuff due to 20-25 mph winds coupled with bad water coloration..but I did manage to take 3 keeper flounder Mon-Weds...19-20" range nothing huge..

On Thurs I decided to venture out in my Lund for crabs in the assateague channel backwater cuts. Hit the incoming tide bout 2 hours on the frt end & did outstanding!! Put one large pot out with bunker & chicken baks just off a creek inflow in bout 6-8ft water then anchored on other side of channel & did some hand trappin with 2 open top local made traps & 2 ss ring styles. In about 4 hours I had over 2 doz beautiful blue crabs in the basket!!! Threw bak bout 20 under the 5" "tip to tip" minimum.

The crabbin produced more meat than the fishin on this trip & was a blast!!

Movin Crabs To The Steamer(Loggy's Stylish Boots included to Authenicate Pic!! :lol:

CrabBig.jpg

Steamin Crabs

CrabsReady.jpg

Ready To Eat...Yummy!!!!!

crabsready1.jpg

Loggy,

I sure am jealous! I love that area of VA. I was hunting the Sikas over there a couple of Januarys ago and had my stand set up on the first row of pines in from the beach. Looking over my shoulder at the waves and hearing the surf while sitting in stand was an experience I won't soon forget!

Looks GREAT to me Loggy! You know..I've never done anything like that! But you know..I bet you've never been frog giggin' neither! :D

vabowhntr, a beautiful undisturbed of Mother Nature indeed!! Thanx to the Natl Park Service for its success in preserving those many thousand acres of bountiful wildlife habitat!! Exploring those Sikas is surely on my list!! I moved my RV to a permanent site on Chincoteague Inlet this Spring & am just starting to explor my adventure there!!

Chuck, never tried that frog giggin but have trapped those vicious snapper turtles though!! Have nailed quite a few frogs with a 22lr in quest of those yummy legs!! Did eel giigin with my Dad years ago...that is a blast!!

Frog giggin' is a BLAST!! Used to do quite a bit of it a few years back. Nothing like coming home smellin' like a swamp... :lol:

Loggy,,,,clean yer kitchen up..... 8)

Batchief909 said:

Loggy,,,,clean yer kitchen up..... 8)

Bat, the Mrs. will join me on next trip.....thats her job!! :lol: :lol:

Crabbing

There is absolutely nothing better to eat than steamed and spiced crabs on a table covered w/ news print and a pitcher of beer and a pitcher of pop. My daughter was in a high chair swinging a hammer on her first outing to Assateague Island. I cannot get to the shore this year as gas has me strapped somewhat. My family will definitely miss that feasting and oh-h-h-h the flounder filets wrapped around fresh crab meat and broiled...... I;\'m gonna talk to momma and hopefully change her mind about going to the shore, I can't take it. I'm gonna send her these pictures, maybe that will loosen up the purse strings some. Man, summer is here!

Loggy,

Let me know if you go chasing those little deer. I have hunted them three times and think I have learned a little something about them and might be able to give you some tips. I have only shot one of them (big 3x3) but have had other chances and young ones. The one I shot was so old and tough that the tenderloins were hard to cut. I hear the does are better. It sure is a fun change of scenery to hunt out there though. Can't wait to do it again.

Vabowhntr

vabowhntr said:
Loggy,

Let me know if you go chasing those little deer. I have hunted them three times and think I have learned a little something about them and might be able to give you some tips. I have only shot one of them (big 3x3) but have had other chances and young ones. The one I shot was so old and tough that the tenderloins were hard to cut. I hear the does are better. It sure is a fun change of scenery to hunt out there though. Can't wait to do it again.

Vabowhntr

Will do Vabowhntr!! I could move down there in a blink of an eye but may get a lil lonely without the Mrs.......i think!! :lol:

One of these spear heads or similar are placed on end of pole used to Gig (spear through) frog, eel etc.

3pk_spear.jpg

Back