GPR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Barrel

Reaction score
Hi all. Kinda new to muzzleloading and bought a Triumph about 4 months ago. Well, now I want more muzzleloaders LOL. The bug bit me hard. I want to buy a traditional style gun and I have been doing allot or reading and was thinking about a Lyman GPR. in 54 Cal. percussion. Does anybody have any pics. of this gun ? I really cant see details of the gun on Lymans website and thought somebody here might be able to help.

I own a Trade Rifle, but have handled the GPR and they are a beautiful rifle. That's a good choice. I am sure you will be happy with it. Semisane has one. He might pick this thread up and post a photo of his, although his is a flintlock I believe.

Thanx for the reply cayuga. Sure sounds like a nice rifle but Id sure like to see some pics of it other than the Lyman website wich arent so good. None of the dealers around here have one for me to look at or more importantly to hold. I'll Prob. just wind up getting one trusting all the great reviews.

Here are a couple of old pics of my Great Plains Hunter .50. Same rifle as the GPR except it has a fast twist barrel.

sidelocks%20017.jpg

sidelocks%20018.jpg

If I had it to do over again...I'd get a GPR in .54 like you are considering.. But this .50 GPH will really shoot with 80gr Pyrodex P and a 460gr No Excuses!

VERY nice rifle...I think you'd like it! :D

Extra GPR barrels are cheap. Midsouth Shooters Supply has them for $117.00.

Thanx for the info and pics. guys. That sure is one fine lookin rifle. Ill be headed out to get one soon. Thanks again.

Great rifle. I have a 54 and a 50. Check out Midsouth Shooters Supply. Great prices and great people to deal with

in case the GPR

on the lyman site in case the GPR is a little pricey they run specials here is the latest
Reconditioned Muzzle Loader - Trade Rifle 50 Cal Percussion
$474.95 $256.47 On Sale!
[Add to Cart] [View Cart]

Do I understand you can buy a .54 barrel to put on a .50 Great Plains rifle?

Do I understand you can buy a .54 barrel to put on a .50 Great Plains rifle?

Sho`nuff can. My original plan was to start with the .54 slow twist (1:60") ball barrel, and get a .50 Hunter barrel (1:32" twist) at a later date. But after spending a lot of time shooting .54 balls I doubt I'll ever bother getting the .50. Just don't see the need anymore.

I do love my .54 GP flinter.

Got a 54 and a 50, both in the standard round ball twist barrel. Great, accurate rifles. Kept the standard sights on the .54 and put a Lyman 57 peep sight on the .50. As mentioned above, Midsouth has great pricing and are great to deal with. Just make sure you clean the barrel with break cleaner as they come with some sort of heavy corrosion protection from the factory.

Lyman GPR's are great bp guns. I had 2 but am down to one which is a .54cal kit that I built last summer. The one I had before was an older .50cal. Both had slow twist for prb. I've yet to take any game with them unless you count the gopher I took with the .54.
I switched the no.11 nipple out for a musket cap and shoot only Goex FFG outta it.
The other things I might do is change the front & rear sights which I will pick up from Track of the Wolf.

Latest posts

Back