Omega Z5 questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg88

Reaction score
Hi,
I posted this over in the newbie section but thought it might get more traffic over here.

Hello,

I know next to nothing about ML hunting except I enjoy Bow hunting and want to expand without going all the way back to my old .270 I used to carry.
I bought a new in the package *New old stock" TC Omega Z5 .50 cal premium pack and have a Nikon Prostaff P3 ML 3-9x40 BDC 300 scope to go on it.

I will be hunting W.T. and need some help / guidance in trying the best loads for it. I know there is some rifle to rifle differences but figured the Omega has been around long enough there should be some standards set. I did a search and looked on line elsewhere and am leaning towards:

Blackhorn 209?
saboted rounds, vs maybe copper plated hollow point powerbelt???? if saboted, which???? pros and cons
Federal 209a primers??

Really looking for help / suggestions on:
1) if the Blackhorn 209 is a good way to go?, if not, what? 777?
2) amount of Blackhorn (or other charge) to start with?
3) good "bullet"? if saboted, which???? pros and cons
4) what grain bullet"?
5) primer for BH or 777 with my Omega
6) any suggested modifications?

i apologize for all the questions, I really am starting from scratch.

Greg

May I suggest to keep it simple at first and use 2 pellets of T7 with a Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullet with the dark blue sabot. I find this to be an accurate combination that will work in your new rifle.

......I will be hunting W.T......
What???? Western Tennesee? West Texas? White tail?......................

These 250 SST are on sale, and should be fine for WT. A load of 90 grain Blackhorn would be a good start. W209 primers would be good in your Omega, because they are longest, thus would make the best seal against blow by. Using these components should provide a decent beginning for you.........hopefully.

Back