Nice day for a little .32 cal shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
The weather finally was a little better today but they say another storm headed this way for Monday, at least that is what they said. Wind was supposed to be 5 to 10mph with gusts to 7 to 10mph, started out 39* and was about 48* when I left. It was not too bad but it was swirling on the range, but that is pretty normal for our range. Reading about UpperHand's new build got me hankering to go shoot mine. I took the LK .36cal too but never got it out of the case. :roll: Had too much fun shooting the little .32. It did show me how rusty I am as I have only been out 2 other times this year I think. :( I shot the same load the whole time and is what I hunted with last fall. The wind does mess with that little ball but as long as I paid attention it did pretty good, glad I took one wind flag with me. I messed up a few shots on the first target pushing or pulling the rifle when the shot broke. :wall: But at least I got out and had some fun. :D

The Load was 20gns or PyrodexP, CCi #11caps, Hornady .315 RB with Pillow tick patching cut on short start. I forgot the order of the shots or how many any of the targets actually had. I do know that the very first shot out of the rifle was the one that his dead center. All shooting was at 50 yards. Here are a few pictures from today. The cell pics are not the most clear. :roll:

First target.

Last target. I shot a few in a heavier tail wind and they went high but grouped. Got to pay more attention to the Wind. :lol: Burned myself on that last shot went low. But the main group is pretty much in the same place as the other target. 8) The ones covered up are from an earlier trip with the .36cal.

Walking back I happened to spot 3 of my little patches. Ain't they cute! :lol:

edmehlig said:
Shawn were in LI do you shoot Calverton??

Ed,

Yup but not at the Calverton public range (we used to call it "Dodge City" :roll: ). I belong to a Private Club and we have our own range just North of the L.I.E but the same exit.

WV Hunter said:
Good shooting Shawn, but I still see no green balls :lol:
Well I got the Box now, just need some Green paint. So I can have Peas for the Pea shooter! :lol:

pjsoden said:
Nice shooting Shawn!
Thanks Pete. I still need to spend more time with the .36 too. So many projects so little time. :roll: :wink:

WV Hunter said:
Good shooting Shawn, but I still see no green balls :lol:

I may have not got the "Peas" made but I did make myself a new patch knife from a Russell Blank and a couple slabs of curly Maple I got a Dixon's. :D

Thanks Pete. Got pretty lucky with them. Had a set of Walnut too but they did not work out. Now I'm kind of glad they didn't. I got another Knife blank but have to wait till I can find something for a set of handles. Dixon's has a lot of nice stuff in their shop.

Thanks Mike.

I saw that blank and it just looked like it would make a great patch knife. Worked great last Sunday. :D

Shawn, when I lived in Bayside Queens, I use to go to the range on Route 110 until they closed. Then I use to go to Calverton Public range with my friend who lives in Lake Ronkoma. He doesn't go to the Calverton range much these days, but goes to some public range on the North shore.

Ed

Ed,

I shot at Huntington some too. Pain in the butt carrying everything through the office. Never know we may have shot there one day at the same time. :shock: Best guess is your friend goes to the Brookhaven town range. It is just off the William Floyd Parkway on the North Shore on Rt 25, just east of Ridge. I shot there for a number of years (Was much better than Calverton) till it was closed down by the town for a while to remodel and get someone new to run it. Have not been there in a few years now.

Shawn, now that you mentioned Route 25 it must have been the Brookhaven range. I hope to make it to my friends house this year to do some fishing at Moriches Bay, Shinickock canal or Peconic Bay. God how I miss fishing out there.

Latest posts

Back