ENCORE PROHUNTER TRIGGER JOB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhawker

Reaction score
I did a trigger job on my prohunter. The Bellm site has some good pics on their free download... http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=456

P9040174.jpg

I personally like a trigger pull (for hunting) to be around 2 lb. This prohunter I recently bought was almost 5. This is my first encore trigger job. The parts were easily removed from the receiver/frame with push-pins. The trigger guard screw is threaded. The trigger pin, sear pin, and hammer pins are all different sizes...cant put the wrong ones in the wrong place..at least not easily.. :lol:

P9040176.jpg

The parts in the pic are, from left to right...hammer, sear, trigger, trigger guard, hammer pin, sear pin, trigger pin, trigger guard pin, interlock, grip adapter, below it- hammer strut with hammer spring, trigger guard strut, trigger guard spring. Above those is the frame/ receiver and sear/trigger spring. I polished the mating surfaces of the hammer, sear notch, where sear contacts trigger and top of trigger that contacts sear. Some pics..not the best..sorry :oops:

P9040181.jpg

P9040168.jpg

P9040166.jpg

Using the factory sear/trigger spring...I got down to about 3.5lb..checking with my RCBS trigger pull scale. I made a new spring out of .031" wire and then had to alter the angle of the sear notch
P9040162-1.jpg

The notch needs to be more "horizontal" for the hammer to engage it fully.
Pic to try to show the angle of the factory notch and the altered.

P9030155-1.jpg

P9040157-1.jpg

After changing the notch... and re-polishing it...the hammer cant be pushed off the notch. And the trigger pull is 1 3/4 lb. and smooth. I may try some .035" spring wire and see where that get me. As far as the honing..I used several different things. A hard arkansas stone and a knife blade with oiled 600 wet/dry paper...for the notch. Also have a diamond needle file set for altering the notch angle. I saw at his site, Bellm uses a special set of pliers for installing the spring. I made a installation pin from an old 1/8" drill bit..(.125") see pic..the shorter one.
P9040160.jpg

It needs to be no longer than .640"-.650". Use your grinder. It is used to hold the spring in place on the sear and with the interlock..inserted into the frame. When in position..you push out the shorter pin with the longer from the outside..works perfectly. I would think this is easier to manipulate than those pliars. Pic of sear with spring & installation pin.
P9040171.jpg

I could show step-by-step.. pic by pic reassembly of parts if anybody wants to see it? (this stuff takes a lot of time..at least for me :oops: )

nice job ,i did the same with my ENCORE and the trigger pull is nice and smooth 2 1/2 lbs.... it is realy a shame that T/C does not upgrade they're trigger and hammer springs at the factory before selling it off to the customer [ i paid over $850.00 for my ENCORE]

black powder said:
nice job ,i did the same with my ENCORE and the trigger pull is nice and smooth 2 1/2 lbs.... it is realy a shame that T/C does not upgrade they're trigger and hammer springs at the factory before selling it off to the customer [ i paid over $850.00 for my ENCORE]

They (TC) told me that their encore triggers are from between 3.5 and 5 lb. from factory. If desired, they will lighten the pull down to 3.5 MINIMUM..by honing the parts. they wont replace the spring. I guess if they took the time to tune all the triggers, they would have to raise the price. Also..they wont sell the parts for the trigger operation. ..hammer, sear, or trigger.. have to send the gun in to them. So beware..dont mess them parts up :lol:

Trigger spring is to heavy and the locking lug spring and the hammer spring are to light. They are cheap and easy to get fron Bellm, I made a pin also, with the pin and the pliers together its a 20 second job. Lee

triger pull

I was lucky mine cane from the factory with a 2.5 lb trigger smooth as silk.

Lee 9 said:
Trigger spring is to heavy and the locking lug spring and the hammer spring are to light. They are cheap and easy to get fron Bellm, I made a pin to with the pin and the pliers to geter its a 20 second job. Lee

The job itself was easy...posting all this stuff with pics takes me a lot of time. Was hoping someone might get something out of it. Too many guys send this stuff out to have done and can do it themselves and enjoy doing it. The spring wire costs me only a few bucks per 1/4 pound. Fun to make your own stuff..when possible.

Re: triger pull

Morris said:

Sounds like they screwed yours up..better send that back! :lol:

squirrelhawker said:
Morris said:

Ha, ha...funny (and true) ! :wink:

I replaced the hammer spring also when I did mine. Did you try that as well? It works good (though it is a bit tough to pull back).

old/new said:
squirrelhawker said:
Morris said:

I replaced the hammer spring also when I did mine. Did you try that as well? It works good (though it is a bit tough to pull back).

I didnt have any issues with the hammer / spring. Primers go off every time. :) Had to work on most of my NEF's too. They are easy to get below 3 and no part change needed. Some of those can be terrible...6+ lb.

old/new said:
squirrelhawker said:
Morris said:

get the aluminum hammer extention from MIKE ..i got one on mine and realy made a difference ..

black powder said:
old/new said:
squirrelhawker said:
Morris said:

get the aluminum hammer extention from MIKE ..i got one on mine and realy made a difference ..

Mine has the factory "swing" hammer..something relatively new..I guess?
You can set it right, left or straight.

i knew that u have the swing hammer and it seems ok for you ,but "old/new" wrote that his hammer was hard to pull back..also nice when you wear gloves in november or december ..just a thought /

black powder said:
i knew that u have the swing hammer and it seems ok for you ,but "old/new" wrote that his hammer was hard to pull back..also nice when you wear gloves in november or december ..just a thought /
I get your point :) . yeah it seems fine for me. Dont mean to sound like your choice was bad...to each his own. I like to hear/read everybody's recommendations. :)

Thanks squirrel, I was just pondering whether or not to take on this modification myself. I may just do it before the season starts so I can get some trigger time in before-hand. My trigger isn't creepy at all, very crisp, but the pull weight leaves a lot to be desired.

guitarpicva said:
Thanks squirrel, I was just pondering whether or not to take on this modification myself. I may just do it before the season starts so I can get some trigger time in before-hand. My trigger isn't creepy at all, very crisp, but the pull weight leaves a lot to be desired.

A number 3 spring will get you down just below 3lbs w/o doing any filing, honing or polishing. Definitely get the kit with the spring and pliers. :lol: I would also recommend one of the heavier 51lb hammer springs also which will give you a faster lock time. I put the 51lb spring in though mainly for setting off military primers SSA uses on 6.8 Rem SPC ammo. The best thing is if you run into a snag during assembly you can call Kurt or Mike and they will walk you through it. My groups definitely improved after the trigger job however my factory trigger was well over 5lbs. Call and talk to Kurt, he'll fix you right up.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/item.php?pid=414&cid=63

51# hammer spring. Took me longer to get the nut off the frame then to put the spring in.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/item.php?pid=754&cid=86

Back