New CVA Accura MR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had mine out today. You will be very pleased with that rifle. I use a 300 gr Hornady XTP or Speer Deep curl. 70 gn to 84 gn depending on animal target. Fed 209A primer. If I am shooting for accuracy I run a dry patch between shots. Windex ammonia soaked patches, Hoppes #9 or some Blackhorn 209 bore cleaner have all worked well for me. Today I shot 2 groups. Group 1 - 3 shot MOA group. Then I made sight correction and shot a 1 1/2 inch group. 2 shots were in same hole the third shot was out a 1 1/2 inches but it was a MMP 3 petal sabot from last year that was in a speed loader the other sabots were harvesters H5045 SB. So I cannot complain. Muzzleloaders are such a hoot to shoot. I bought a 1/8 inch hex drill bit a cheapy hex bit driver handle to clean the breach plug flash channel.

To answer your question "What is leading? " leading occurs when a lead projectile comes in direct contact with the bore particularly if improperly lubed and pushed at high enough pressure with out a gas check. This is not usually a problem muzzy's unless you are maybe using an all lead powderbelt or miniball. Even then the plastic collar base they use should protect the bore and the black powder substitutes don't seem to burn hot enough or at high enough pressure to cause this problem. This would most likely be seen in a modern handgun, rifle or shotgun with Forster type slugs. Think M&P 9MM, 357 Mag or 44 Mag. or 45.70 Gov, 30.06 or .58 cal miniball in a Springfield.

I had mine out today. You will be very pleased with that rifle. I use a 300 gr Hornady XTP or Speer Deep curl. 70 gn to 84 gn depending on animal target. Fed 209A primer. If I am shooting for accuracy I run a dry patch between shots. Windex ammonia soaked patches, Hoppes #9 or some Blackhorn 209 bore cleaner have all worked well for me. Today I shot 2 groups. Group 1 - 3 shot MOA group. Then I made sight correction and shot a 1 1/2 inch group. 2 shots were in same hole the third shot was out a 1 1/2 inches but it was a MMP 3 petal sabot from last year that was in a speed loader the other sabots were harvesters H5045 SB. So I cannot complain. Muzzleloaders are such a hoot to shoot. I bought a 1/8 inch hex drill bit a cheapy hex bit driver handle to clean the breach plug flash channel.

To answer your question "What is leading? " leading occurs when a lead projectile comes in direct contact with the bore particularly if improperly lubed and pushed at high enough pressure with out a gas check. This is not usually a problem muzzy's unless you are maybe using an all lead powderbelt or miniball. Even then the plastic collar base they use should protect the bore and the black powder substitutes don't seem to burn hot enough or at high enough pressure to cause this problem. This would most likely be seen in a modern handgun, rifle or shotgun with Forster type slugs. Think M&P 9MM, 357 Mag or 44 Mag. or 45.70 Gov, 30.06 or .58 cal miniball in a Springfield.
I am very happy with the ride so far! Yeah, I would really like to find a 300 grain bullet that works for my gun. It seems like a good all-around weight for all types of game. I have only shot the SST, but I have read a lot of good things about the XTP.

Thanks for answering my leading question. I thought that is what it was. But I wasn’t sure how that would be an issue with sabots being used.

You might check wit Midway. Right now things are a bit hard to find. or check the Speer website. Yes I do use the drill bit every 10 shots or so to clean the breech plug.

I will try the 250gr bullets, but I like the idea of throwing heavier lead. Because At some point in the future I know I want to muzzleload elk out west, so I would like to find a nice heavy bullet that is appropriate for large big game animals and stick with it. And use it for deer as well, just for the sake of consistency.
What is leading? And is grV = grains by volume?
Sorry, yes, grV is just how i abbreviate grains by Volume. Leading is when lead from the bulley gets stuck to the bore. Friction, speed, heat, rough bore surface all play a part in it. I keep my charges lower and use a wad over the powder to reduce leading when i use lead conicals. Also bore lapping/polishing and good lube helps a lot. But if you only shoot sabots leading and copper fouling wont be a problem for you.

I see some comments about anti seize or grease on the breach plug, I've been using Teflon paste on mine. The Teflon works as good as anything else but it's not nearly as messy

Latest posts

Back