XTP and Bonded Shockwave into wet phone books.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Doohan.

Correction on my info, both entrance holes shown in phone books are from 20 yards. Upper from the Bonded Shockwave, lower is the XTP.

That is some excellent penetration and expansion... they look good. Which one shoots better for you?

Both will shoot between 3\4 and 7\8th if I do my part.

The Bonded bullet is shot with a factory sabot, I believe it's an MMP HPH24.

The XTP is running in an MMP 3petal EZ.

I have yet to run the XTP with 100grains by volume FFG thru the chrono yet, anyone have a rough FPS on it?

The Bonded with 120 by volume of FFFG ranges around 1800 FPS.

I have yet to run the XTP with 100grains by volume FFG thru the chrono yet, anyone have a rough FPS on it?

Right around 1700fps.

Thanks for the info!

HAVE YOU TRIED YHE 300GR XTP MAG OR THE 300GR SPEER GOLD DOT THEY WILL GIVE YOU ABOUT THE SAME RESULTS AS THE SW BONDED IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A BULLET THAT STAYS TOGATHER. BOTH ARE VERY ACCURATE ALSO

275 Parker BE would be great as well..

250 BE too if you want a bit more speed.

I have tried the XTP bonded and the Speer GD. They both shoot well but they don't match up to the Standard XTP or Bonded shockwave. I have spent the bulk of the summer running many diff combinations of loads thru the gun, she likes the Shockwave bonded and Standard XTP the best.

I'm sticking with the 300 grain based on it's energy. I'll give up a little in trajectory to gain the energy. Most of my shots are going to be under 100 yards.

I have heard too many stories about the lighter bullets not performing at times. I'm sure poor shot location etc is part of some of these stories but I'm kinda old school with guns that don't have centerfire velocities. Heavy bullets for me. Same with archery, speed is ok but I'll take quiet heavy accuracy every time.

I have gained much from this site and just wanted to give back a little with my findings. I'm pleased with the performace with both bullets into the phone books. I didn't show photos of the Standard Shockwave, it failed terribly, didn't open up at all, almost 24 inches of penetrations. Not sure if I got a bad batch or what. I expected them to overexpand at 20 yards.

Sometime in the future I will get her dialed in completely and show my groups from 50 to 200 yards.

Thanks again to all who have posted info that has helped me in short order go from a 12ga slug gun to a Smoke Pole that is consistently shooting sub inch groups.

Pro Hunter
lighter trigger spring only
Leupold scope
Standard XTP, MMP 3petal EZ, Win209 primer, 100gr by volume T7-2F
Bonded Shockwave, MMP HPH24, Win209 primer, 120gr by volumeT7-3F

I recoverd from a deer a Hornady 44 caliber, 240 gr XTP that lost 17 grains of weight. Load was two 50gr T7 pellets.

Mike is away to a hunting trip and wanted me to add the following:

"The phone book test I did awhile back. Attached is a pic of a standard 300 grain Shockwave, it was shot into wet phone books at 20 yards pushed by 100 grains by volume T7 3F. I?ll let the pic speak for itself. I would appreciate it if you could post the above info along with the pic. I?m sure it will stir more debate."

"Forgot to mention that the bullet penetrated approx 24 inches into the wet phone books. Compared to what the Bonded Shockwave did I?ll never shoot a standard Shockwave. Maybe post my original phone book pic to go along with this new photo."

Picture%20022.jpg

So if i am reading this right, the bonded shockwave is expanding at close range and the standard shockwave is not. That sounds like a good reason to switch to a bonded.

Wow! Those are impressive results, especially the shot at 220 yards.

I think I see some paper particles clogging the HP on that 300 SW... can anyone confirm that ?

If so, then this possibility exists with any HP bullet. How many have you fired into the wet newspapers?

I thought the shockwaves blew up at close range. At least that is what I have heard many people say. That is a interesting pic though. I have a bunch of binded one but have not shot any yet. I am still shooting up the original 250 I have. The way that bullet looks you would think that it was the bonded one at close range

Cajun said:

220 yards is a typo. The test on the XTP was at 20 yards. Mike was shooting at my range, so I know this is correct. :D

The standard SW was only tried in the phone books once due to time constraints. If it were a true HP then I might go for the plugged point for the lack of expansion, but with the ballistic tip, shouldn't it force expansion?

snshunts said:
Cajun said:

220 yards is a typo. The test on the XTP was at 20 yards. Mike was shooting at my range, so I know this is correct. :D

The standard SW was only tried in the phone books once due to time constraints. If it were a true HP then I might go for the plugged point for the lack of expansion, but with the ballistic tip, shouldn't it force expansion?

Right on! I'm new to muzzleloading and have a lot to learn, especially with ballistics. Thanks for pointing that out.

No prob, Cajun.

For comparison's sake, here are some pics of a 300gn XTP I recovered from a buck I shot at 150yds. This was a high shoulder pass thru that was recovered between the hide and ribcage opposite of the entry. I'm pushing the XTP a little faster thru my Savage at about 2000fps, but it still shows the longer range performance in meat and bone compared to phone books.

1116072007.jpg

1116072006.jpg

1116072006a.jpg

Latest posts

Back