New black powder guy looking for advice on percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLogik

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and have a Uberti 1851 Navy London that I purchased recently. I hear that #10 and #11 percussion caps are basically interchangeable, but, is there a usability difference on how they go on, stay on, detonate and come off the nipples? I'm not running hot loads but the caps seem like they just barely cling to the nipples, and yes, they get all snarled up in the cylinder if I'm not careful. Are #10's deeper and stay on better or is there really no difference? If there is a usability difference, what is that exactly?

Welcome from southeast Oklahoma.
Generally speaking, #10 caps are for revolvers, #11's are for rifles.
I guess the #10's are supposed to have a bit of a longer skirt to fit over the nipple better.
There's really not much standardization in the manufacturing of caps, or so it seems.
You can modify the nipples some with a file for a better fit or change them out.
Track of the Wolf Muzzleloaders has a good selection of replacement parts.

I don't think there is really much of a difference between the two. I think it depends on what best fits your gun. I see people all the time posting about using Slix Shot nipples on their revolvers. I haven't tried it, but they all say that those nipples work very well with either size cap and that they help reduce cap jams.

my only experience is cross brand but Remington 10s are the best on both my 1858 and my rifle

just be glad you got any caps at all ;)

Back