Need some help and opinion to make a decision of 3 Muzzleloader rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
.50 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle 672

.50 cal Underhammer kit from Pecatonica Rifle 650 Items to complete kit 100 total 750+

.54 cal Lyman Signature Series Great Plains rifle 806

I would ask if they all have the same twist rate in the barrel?
Choose the one that has a twist rate that matches what you're wanting to use as a projectile.
I'm fairly certain that Lyman Great Plains rifles have a 1:66 twist, which is going to be best for patched round ball shooting.
I do not know what twist the rifles in your selection for sure have, and I also don't know what your experience is. If you're wanting to shoot a conical or sabot, then you're not going to want something with a slow twist. A 1:48 would be the slowest twist I'd want if wanting to shoot something other than a patched round ball.

I would ask if they all have the same twist rate in the barrel?
Choose the one that has a twist rate that matches what you're wanting to use as a projectile.
I'm fairly certain that Lyman Great Plains rifles have a 1:66 twist, which is going to be best for patched round ball shooting.
I do not know what twist the rifles in your selection for sure have, and I also don't know what your experience is. If you're wanting to shoot a conical or sabot, then you're not going to want something with a slow twist. A 1:48 would be the slowest twist I'd want if wanting to shoot something other than a patched round ball.
The standard Lyman Great Plains is listed as 1-60 twist. The Signature series is a 1-65 twist according to what I've seen. If I go with the kit the Green Mountain barrel is a 1-70 twist.

Do you have any experience with an under hammer? They have a totally different handling feel to them. I never held one let a lone shot one until I had one built. They're just different. If you have the skills, building the kit from Pecatonica would make it your own and be a fun project.

The Lyman GPR has a 1:60 twist. I believe the prior model Great Plains (no Rifle) was 1:66 twist. I have read that the GPR Signature Model .50 is 1:48 twist, and the .54 is 1:66 twist (per Track of the Wolf website).

Latest posts

Back