Got a free Bobcat

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend gave me a CVA Bobcat .50 . I'm alittle leery about loads given its so light! I have .22's heavier than this.
The lock is ok, but no bridle so durability will eventually be an issue. It will most likely be a plinker/backup gun , but what's the general impression of these guns? i once worked at Sports Authority and I remember clearancing these out at about $50. anyway, it was free!

I have one that is STINKING accurate with 75gr. t7 and a 300gr. TC deerslayer. Always cloverleafs at 50 with the iron sights. I loaded up a bunch of fishing sinkers and spray foam insulation in the butt. Sure tamed it for my daughter. The bore on mine is pretty tight, and though accurate, sabots were a bear to load. Round ball also shot well, but didn't load as easy as the deerslayers. Never shot a powerbelt outta mine, but they should load easily, and be accurate. It ain't much to look at, but gets the job done. It didn't light pyrodex very reliably, but the T7 worked well.

I bought mine from Bass Pro. My Bobcat is under the name Mountain Stalker. Same rifle. Mine is a .54 caliber. I got mine the end of September a few years back, and discovered with 85 grains of powder and a patched roundball this thing was really accurate. I ended up shooting three deer with it that year.

I also took the butt plate off, stuffed a rag down there, then vacuum sealed some buckshot twice in them plastic bags. I rolled that shot around until I had a nice fit, and then stuffed some more rags in the butt plate. The added weight took the bite out of the recoil.

I did finally put a cheap set of fiber optic sights on mine only because I did not like sights that came with it. Over all mine goes off every time, and I hit what I shoot at.

Took her out the other day with some old 3f Goex and some .490 balls and .015 patches. She shredded the patches but still managed to shoot some 2 inch 50 yard 3 rounders.Powder charge was 70 gr.Recoil was no problem, I fired 50 rounds.Her bore seems smooth and the shredded patches were a bit of a mystery until I wadded a couple patches to use as an overpowder wad ( of sorts) and the patch shredding stopped and accuracy got pretty spooky. The twist rate is 1-48 but the bore / groove demensions are definately patch ball type. .500/512. She deserves some work and better sights.i will also crack open a pound of Swiss...I'll also try some .495 balls as the cause of the shredding is the patch/ball combo. I've found its better to up the ball diameter than to go with a thicker patch. this will be a sweet close range rifle. Anything inside of 75 yards better be careful...

They are a hell of a lot more accurate than they oughtta be - even if you pay full boat! I got mine for 50.00, and could not believe the accuracy.

It was kind of funny because when I got my Mountain Stalker and my friends found out what I paid for it, they teased me something terrible. I mean they really were having fun because I got the thing on a Bass Pro clearence sale. Well all the laughing stopped when we had a shoot day at the cabin in the woods. We all got our traditional rifles out, and after the shooting was done, they wanted to know if there were anymore of them for sale at Bass Pro. One of my friends went out and bought a Bobcat at Wal Mart pretty cheap because of it, and his kid has been killing deer with roundballs for years with the thing.

Well, a .495 ball ended the patch shredding and accuracy is very good.Generally ,she shoots under 2 inches for 3 at 50.The Williams rear sight the previous owner installed, has a notch that is too wide for the narrow brass blade foresight.With a narrower notch , groups ought to tighten a bit.I've got to say I am rather impressed with the little booger...

The sad truth is that they function very well indeed. Kinda like taking your second choice to the prom.

Get some 0000 steelwool and either some Flitz polishing compound or jb bore paste and run it down the bore to get it good and smooth. Mine did great with 80gr RS with either the 245 or 295gr AT Powerbelts. I really never did get a round ball load worked up for mine.

JB'd the crap out of her and she's SO smooth now! Good stuff that JB.Also gonna try some .018 patches.Once I get her load finalized it'll be time to stock up and wait for an appropriate time to get her dirty...

Back