XTP - Nosler sand test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Dumped my sand bucket out this evening and recovered the 300gr hornady XTP's and the 260gr Noslers. I only recovered Two noslers as one went through my trap.

Recovered Weight ( Nosler )

246 grains.
250 grains.

Recovered Weight ( Hornady XTP )
274 grains.
247 grains.
234 grains.

miscshooting300xtp-260nosler003.jpg

miscshooting300xtp-260nosler004.jpg

miscshooting300xtp-260nosler005.jpg

miscshooting300xtp-260nosler006.jpg

miscshooting300xtp-260nosler007.jpg

Those Noslers have an amazinly thick copper jacket on them. They remind me on the Barnes expander when they mushroom.

Also a correction about the Noslers in my last thread. I believe the Noslers had the mmp-24 sabots. I loaded the first XTP today which does have the mmp-12 sabot and just about crapped my self with the amount of pressure it took to load them. I also dry patched in between shots with the XTP's and they didnt group no where near as beautifully as the Noslers. Darn differnt size sabots!

Forgot to add this. I came out of my room and found the dog sniffing it in the hall way. Pretty darn awesome moth!
miscshooting300xtp-260nosler001.jpg

those XTP's did real well in the sand bucket. I am sure glad to see that as my GMB shoots them real well with 125 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. That should stop a whitetail.

After shooting a wide variety of bullets over many years I have come to the conclusion that Hornady XTPs and Speer Gold Dots will perform consistently and predictably - i.e. they will expand over a wide range of velocities and not come apart. I haven't spent money on "premium" bullets for quite some time.

Price?

What is the price of those two types? I don't think I'd want to get hit with either one. But is one a lot more expensive than the other? If so, is it worth the extra bucks?

I don't know how much the Noslers cost, but I recently bought 500 of the .430 300 gr. XTP's at Midway for $12.95 per 50. That's only 26 cents per bullet. I don't buy designer bullets either.

Those Partitions bloom just like a Barnes... or maybe it's the other way around since I think the Partition has been around a lot longer. Either way, the Nosler's performance looks pretty impressive.

SWThomas said:
Those Partitions bloom just like a Barnes... or maybe it's the other way around since I think the Partition has been around a lot longer. Either way, the Nosler's performance looks pretty impressive.

+1 After checking them out in person i would rather spend the extra $ on the Noslers. When i saw that thick copper jacket flare back, it to reminded me of the barnes.

frontier gander said:
SWThomas said:

+1 After checking them out in person i would rather spend the extra $ on the Noslers. When i saw that thick copper jacket flare back, it to reminded me of the barnes.

I hear ya` Gander. Having faith in your bullet is important. But I suspect if you put each of those two bullets and a Gold Dot into exactly the same spot on deer you would not be able to tell the wound channels apart.

semi

But I suspect if you put each of those two bullets and a Gold Dot into exactly the same spot on deer you would not be able to tell the wound channels apart.

I think I would disagree some what... The Nosler will pass through 99% of the time + the hydrostatic damage that is does in unbleliveable and it is no to harf on the meat on the other side of the animal when it exits... The Nosler will NOT come apart as niether will the Gold Dot (Bonded) - the Hornady on the other can and will...

If you look at Ganders numbers compare the weight loose of the 260 Nosler to the 300 XTP.

Here are some pics that show the same thing, but I must admit i am shooting with much greater velocity than 100 grains of RS. I am shooting 110 of T7-2f... I am after the extended range flatter terajectory and more energy - although in most cases it is not needed - but I would realy prefer to be ready...

Here is a pic of recovered 300 grain XTP's

GD-XTPComp.jpg

Here are Gold Dots...

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

And you have already seen the Nosler - it really does not change a lot...

CompositRecov-458-2-2.jpg

expandedNosler.jpg

Well, I think you have to take the velocity that you plan to shoot into account. Some people especially the younger people and the ladies like to stay around 80 gr, at 80 or 90 gr of RS the XTP is hard to beat. But when you get into the area of 120 or 130 gr of BH the XTP will come apart.
Bullets are designed work with in a certain range of velocities,there are some that can be used at the extreme end of the velocities that a muzzle loader can reach but only a few of these work well at low velocity.
My 2cents worth. Lee

Lee

But than again look at the .40/200 gr. XTP - it operates fine way over it rated speed for a pistol bullet. I am shooting them @ 2200 fps and can not get them to come apart???

XTP

110 grains of BH209 and a 10mm/ 200 grain xtp mag 140 yards it stayed together went clear to other side of the deer lodged in the skin on the far shoulder. Beuitiful mushroom!

Great bullet report Frontier Gander!!! Those Nosler's fold back like a Barnes bullet!!!! The smokeless guys ought to take notice of this as well!!! Great report! (And the XTP's look pretty dern good as well)

I used to shoot sst's out of my Pro Hunter but had few pass thrus.No lost deer but I like pass thrus for the extra hole 4 blood trails. Switched to the Nosler .45/260 gr patitions (over 110grs bh209) and have had ALL pass thrus and AWESOME blood trails. Noslers are more $$ but I am happy with the performance and one advantage(???) with the higher price is they are AVAILABLE. Most any lower priced pistol bullets right now are very difficult to obtain with the "shortages" we are having right now....

Latest posts

Back