My Deer Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Except for holiday doe season OK deer seasons are kaput.   Managed to kill a buck and doe in both muzzleloader and gun seasons.   All were killed with inline muzzleloaders:   .50 Encore and .54 Fire Hawk.   Gave away one doe and the two bucks. 

Hunting this year was a ***** because i could not beat the brush.   My long ago injured knee acted up very badly:  Osteo arthritis.   Sat for an untold number of boring hours in tree stands and blinds.   

Got an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon coming up.   Just want to be fully mobile again.

I know what a pain that is. I had to confine my walks to less than 200 yds. three years ago. I had the orthopedist scope (arthroscopic surgery) the knee and clean out the arthritic build-up. After about 2-3 weeks of healing, I was good to go again.

He said it would only last for 4-5 years and then I'd need a knee replacement.
My left hip is the next thing to be done.

Good luck with the treatment.

The joys of growing older, arthritis, joint pain and that good old back pain all goes to show we worked our asses off when younger and now we pay for the abuse.   :roll:    :hats off:

I ain't never 'beat the brush' and don't intend to! Dang good way to get your azz shot off!!

I've been lucky with living on 300 acres and having the family next door giving us access to 10,000 acres of posted mountains and pasture lands. We ride this area weekly checking on their cattle and fences, in turn we have a private prime hunting area that borders the Roosevelt National Forest (backside where there's no access), that added about 23 squares miles to the 10,300. If there's an issue that the DOW is worried about they come to us as we are out in the field all the time, which they know, so we are their eyes and ears. It's been this way since 1973 and continues on with the grandkids now.  We beat the brush on horseback, wild animals are use to livestock giving us the advantage to ride with 25-30 yards to look them over.  Anymore I'm looking at conditions of the animals, available feed, water or what ever they may need. And in the spring looking for shed horns from deer and elk (they are easier to haul home than meat anymore). We shoot lots of coyotes and many wild dog packs to help the rest live a little better.

Latest posts

Back