Tru-oil

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
anyone know how long tru-oils shelf life is if it has never been open(seal never broken)? and how long is the life after its been open?

03mossy

anyone know how long tru-oils shelf life is if it has never been open(seal never broken)? and how long is the life after its been open

Well I was hopig someone else would jump in here with an answer, but I guess I will give you what I have...

I have a plastic bottle of "True Oil" that is open and has been open on different ocasions many times. There is a crusty build of dried oil around the inside of the neck but other than that it is still very useable.

Age... It is an 8 fluid oz bottle... it has to be 10 years old.

But... if you are looking to finish a stock I might suggest looking at Teak Oil or Tongue Oil also.

a friend had these laying around and gave them to me. they are in the kits the one bottle is a plastic one like you described all crusted over. the other bottle is in an even older kit still sealed in the glass botttles. he also had 2 old BC blueing kits. and yes i am looking to finish a laminate stock with it. i am going to tare down and strip the wood and metal off an old .38 special for practice before i do the rifle stock.

As Sabotloader said it can and will get a Crusty top over it once it has been exposed to air. I usually make sure the cap it tight after use and store it lid side down to minimize that some. Just try to carefully get as much of that out before you start so you don't have small bits in the oil, as it will wind up in the finish. It is very easy to use and to touch up with. Just buff out a spot and apply a bit with you finger till you get it blended in. I usually hand rub it in with my fingers so there is no brush marks, but it does self level to some extent. Apply with light coats and buff lightly between with 0000 steel wool. I have done several stocks with Tru Oil and made them look like new. I just re-finished my Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer with it and it looks great. As with anything just take your time and you can get a very nice finish that will last a long time.

Good luck,

ShawnT

Latest posts

Back