My Black Diamond XR @200

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time at 200 for this rifle and I must say I am impressed.The wind was a challenge, but for the most part it was a zero value breeze ( head and tail winds ). Sights consist of a T/C fiber op front and a Savage Model 10 aperture rear.The load was a .45 cal 250 gr Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains of Swiss 3f black lit by a CCI musket cap on a single port Ampco nipple.Velocity ( chrono) is 1550 fps.Zeroed on at 100 the drop was 18 inches.Bout as expected. The " BANG ...thump" interval was entertaining too! Groups were fired as 3 rounders and the barrel was cleaned between each shot. The largest group was 6 inches and the smallest was 1 3/8 inches. On a calm day I'm sure the results would have been better, but for the first time out it wasn't bad at all! 200 yard work with a muzzleloader will get you some very curious looks and an oportunity to educate some folks to the potential and limitations of muzzleloaders of ...more modern design, shall we say.Its also alot of fun and good exercise ( checking targets)! Would I take a 200 yard shot? With alittle more practice, a good rest and a pocket range finder, absolutely! Hopefully the deer will give me time to crank on 17 clicks of elevation!

that is a long way out there but you're proof it can be done. Nice shooting.

Interesting results. Have you thought of trying the 250 g. SST? I just wonder how much less, if it is noticeable, they would drop compared to the XTP's.
I have an XR that I want to put a williams FP sight on, to try the same thing.

Back