Muzzleloading Handgun Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter408

Reaction score
I am looking for a muzzleloading handgun, preferrably a revolver, to use as a back-up firearm. Or a primary if I have a quick shot to the right while in my blind. I am looking at a .44 cal. steel frame 1858 New Army with 8" barrel. Do you feel this is a good choice? If not, what would you recommend? Also is this gun limited to a round ball? I really would like to shot a conical bullet.

I have 35 years experience hunting with all hunting implements legal in NY. I teach firearm and bow safety courses. I also know my limitations and I'm not afraid to say "I don't know". This will be my first muzzleloading handgun. Your help will be gratefully accepted.

Several years ago I had a replica .44 caliber revolver. I enjoyed shooting it, but since it would only hold 20-30 grains of powder (if I recall correctly), I would think that it wouldn't be a reliable killer on deer. I could see using one to finish off a wounded animal, but I would hesitate to shoot an non-wounded deer with one.

Just my opinion.

Thanks

Thanks. I have decided on a Traditions Buckhunter Pro .50cal. Partly for price (sorry T/C costs too much for me) and partly because you cannot hunt with a muzzleloading revolver (during the muzzleloader season) in NY. It will use the same bullet as my rifle and shoots 80 gr. loads. This will give me basically the same ballistics ( with 12 1/2: barrel) as my rifle out to @60 yds. When I drop a red dot scope on it, I'm sure it'll do what I need to get done.

Again, Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back