cva wolf 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are the low end of the CVA Optima line of rifles. Also, they are know or like the Beartooth Magnum. Some people claim they are a very accurate rifle. They are low cost. Take them for what they are. I personally think you could save a while longer and look for something with a little more quality to it..

I agree; you can get an NEF Huntsman or Sidekick for about the same money and they have a very good reputation. I have one but have not shot it enough to give you real specifics as yet but so far it looks like a winner.

MLKeith said:
I agree; you can get an NEF Huntsman or Sidekick for about the same money and they have a very good reputation. I have one but have not shot it enough to give you real specifics as yet but so far it looks like a winner.

Agreed the NEF is a much better gun than a cva wolf 209 for the money.

I had an opportunity to shoot a New Frontier Beartooth Magnum (the same as a CVA Wolf) last year. It was loaded with 85 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 245 grain Powerbelt and it shot very well. We only tested it out to 50 yards.

A friend bought her son the rifle and then wanted help instructing him on how to shoot it properly & safely. With the open sights it shot about a two and a half inch + group at 50 yards with the powerbelts. Also the young man was able to harvest a doe with it that season. The doe was 35 yards out, and he put that powerbelt in the right spot and it dropped right there.

There are a lot of people that purchase these rifles, basically because of cost. Face it, for around $100.00 you can have an inline rifle that will shoot a couple of projectiles very well, even out to 100 yards.

Had she asked my opinion before the purchase, I would have suggested a NEF Sidekick or even a quality used Traditional Style Rifle. If none of the shots you might encounter are long range, people should not overlook the traditional rifle. Without a scope, a traditional rifle is an affordable and excellent game taking rifle...

Well I know that the spanish barrels are frowned apon but my two of my buddies bought a CVA wolf this past year and both are quite accurate out to 100 yards using 250 Hornady SSTs.
Both have harvested 2 deer each this past fall with no problems.

It's nice and short and light for the bush.

Doesn't have the Quality that more expensive M/L have but it works well.

Camper

I just picked up a new CVA wolf. I sighted it in with 2 pellets of 777 powder pushing a ShockWave bullet. The gun shoots about 2" groups at 50 yards. At a hundred yards its harder to aim open sights and hit accuaretly. I can keep it in the ten ring on the target. I wanted a muzzle loader and I couldnt afford spending alot of money on a gun to only use it a couple times during minnesotas late-season.
My friend has a NEF Sidekick, I shot his and they shoot very similarly. I was originally going to buy a sidekick but no stores have one. I also could not find anywhere were I could buy the red primer discs. Wouldnt want to leave at home or lose those.

It's a great gun don't let anyone tell you other wise it will kill deer just as well as a $500.00 omega t/c is overated in my opinon and over priced.

Wolf Magnum

I have posted these pictures a couple of weeks ago under "Magnum Capable" in this section. This is the barrel off of a Wolf Magnum with 150 gr. of pellets.
CVA2.jpg

[/img]
CVA1.jpg

It would make me look hard!

a picture is worth a thousand words.. WOW!!

hope no one was hurt when that happened... thanks for posting. So the load was three pellets and what projectile??? any idea.

I went back and searched your posting... a CVA Bullet that came with it. That would have to be a powerbelt. Its the only projectile I know that comes with the CVA rifle.

Info on busted barrel

All that I know is that the guy said that it was a "CVA bullet". I'm not sure what they offer.

The guy was scared s#)tless, but luckily he was un-harmed.

You can find horror stories on just about any firearm.
I own a CVA Wolf with a 3X9 40mm Bushnell scope. I group under 2" at 100yds. I have fired 150 gr (3 pellets of 777) and my face is still as handsome as ever.

150 gr loads are not necessary under 150 yds. Most deer are killed well under 100 yds.

Its difficult to ascertain regarding the banana barrel.
Did the individual load 3 pellets or could it have been 4?
Did he load one bullet or two?
How many beers did he consume before trying to shoot his rifle?

I would imagine that if there was some inherent danger in the CVA products, they would be slapped with a lawsuit so fast that their sales would come to an abrupt halt.

Just because something is inexpensive, doesn't necessilary mean it is crap.

When a deer gets a 240 gr sabot in its kill zone, it doesn't know wheather it came from a bargain priced "Wolf" or an overpriced Tradition or TC rifle. The deer is just as dead.

Griffoneur
You are SOOOO right on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Son has a CVA optima 78.00 on Sale at Wal Mart (not the Wolf) But it shoots GREAT and he has had NO problems . He shoots 95 grains ffg loose and a 300grn XTP and its a nail driver. This year he dropped this Elk in its tracks at over 100 yards. No need to use 150 grains and no need to shoot over 150 yrds with a muzzle loader . Thats what a 270 or a 7mm mag is for . :wink: :wink: :wink:

Codysfirst.jpg

Griffoneur. This is a very true statement. "When a deer gets a 240 gr sabot in its kill zone, it doesn't know wheather it came from a bargain priced "Wolf" or an overpriced Tradition or TC rifle. The deer is just as dead."

When I shoot a deer with my overpriced T/C Encore I have the piece of mind knowing that both the deer I harvested and the gun I used to do it with were "MADE IN THE USA." :yeah:

Latest posts

Back