SC 8-Pointer goes on an "Endeavor"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
So I decided to take advantage of the cold front we're experiencing right now and hit the woods. I headed out right after lunch so I could sight in my Rem 700 after making some adjustments to the scope. I was planning to use it and hunt one of the club stands at the lease. I love my ML but that stand requires a rifle that can reach out several hundred yards. I get there and see that the stand I wanted to hunt had already been checked out. Which was a little odd because it was noon and no one usually hunts in the middle of the day. So I drive down the road and peak around the corner with my bino's. Sure enough 400 yards down the road Tim was in the stand. So I turned around and left so I wouldn't mess up his hunt.

I stopped by my food plot to check my trail cameras for activity. I planted some Shot Plot about a month ago and it's really taking off. There were plenty of deer on the trail cams so I decided to hunt there. I went to the range down the road, sighted in my 700, and got ready to head to the food plot. I had brought my Endeavor with me so I decided to use it since the longest possible shot at the plot was about 100 yards. I loaded it up with my pet load of 120g BH209, 250g Barnes T-EZ with MMP HPH-12 sabot, and a CCI 209M primer. I entered the ground blind at about 1:30PM and settled in for a nice day.

It was nice and cool so there weren't any skeeters out today, which was very nice for a change. I sat there for several hours and around 6:10PM, I spotted a spike moving around back in the large oaks that are toward the rear of the plot. I watched him for a little while and then he moved in to feed on the Shot Plot. I still had about an hour or so of good shooting light left so I decided I was going to pass on him.... for now.... I did sight in on him just so I could let my adrenaline die down a bit and practice aiming. I like to do that before taking a shot anyway. After my jitters went away, I put the rifle down and just watched him with the binos for a while. He moved back behind one of the oaks and then disappeared.

About 15 minutes later he came back out and this time he had company. I didn't know at the time but his buddy was an 8 pointer. All I saw was that he was a better buck than the spike and I knew I wanted to take him. So I got the rifle up and rested it on my make-shift shooting sticks I had made out of two small saplings. I aimed in and waited for him to turn broadside. He was right next to the small oak at the South East corner of my plot and I had ranged it at 85 yards earlier in the day. He turned broadside facing to the left and with the crosshairs centered behind his left shoulder, I squeezed the trigger. I couldn't see where he went with all the smoke but I knew my Endeavor was dead-on and I was confident I made a good shot. Once my ears stopped ringing I could hear him thrashing back under the oaks. So I quickly reloaded (just in case), got a pinch of Copenhagen, and exited the blind. I walked toward where he was standing to look for blood. Right when I came to where he was standing I heard him thrashing some more. I walked toward that direction and spotted him kicking around on the ground about 30 yards away. I stood there for a few minutes and let him expire.

Here's what I got...
Okatie80910178-1-1.jpg

He's by no means a giant but he's a trophy to me. This is when I realized he was an 8 pointer and I had in fact made a good shot. It entered right behind the left shoulder and exited about 8 inches behind the right.

It was getting dark fast and he was big enough that I decided to take him to the processor instead of butchering him myself. So I loaded him up and took off...
Okatie8091017.jpg

And here's a pic from the processor...
Okatie80910177.jpg

It was a great hunt and I'm very happy with the results. The cool thing is, I got Cuddeback pictures of a bigger buck coming to that food plot. Hopefully I'll get a shot at him once the rut heats up.

Congratulations on a great hunt. That's a nice deer. Should be real good eating.

Thanks! I'm definitely craving some venison. We ran out too fast after last season.

GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Any animal taken should be regarded as a trophy . I too am proud to have take a small one this year . I did not see anything big this year but it was one of the best seasons i had . I saw a ton of does and a dozen or so small bucks and never left the valley i live in . And what i really like is i never saw another hunter . they were all up in the mountains where the deer population is very very low and all looking for Mr big . I hunted a fews hrs every morning and then when home and when back out in the evenings for a few hours until sunset . Our hunt is very short . I am taking some time off and hunting the last 5 days of the spike bull elk hunt in Nov 2-6 though .

Great Deer and a Great story, thanks for the details. Hope ya get a shot @ the Big Boy.

Eveyone likes a happy ending! Congrats on the safe & successful evening.

Congrats on the buck.good write-up ..Thomas u wrote " got a pinch of Copenhagen" whats that ???????????????????????????/

thats great

nice job soldier. archery in ny is hot with the weather front. keep huntin

:D :D :D

Congrats are in order :!: :!: :!: Nice buck and good story behind the buck :!: :!: Good eaten there :!: :!: :!:

black powder said:
Congrats on the buck.good write-up ..Thomas u wrote " got a pinch of Copenhagen" whats that ???????????????????????????/

HAHA! Only the finest smokeless tobacco money can buy! :D

Back