More shooting for the Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Reaction score
Well sighted it in with Hornady 250 gr. Monoflex's pushed by 100 grains of Shooters world MPB. Accuracy even with my Grandson shooting is under 2 inches for three shots. I do have a snivel though, seems like there is a lot of blow by past the primer getting some heavy residue on the face of the reciever upper right corner. To me this breech plug is very sloppy, it beeing a Nitride aftermarket one made for 209. Primers are very loose in it and the through hole is larger than that on the new looking original breechplug. Is there any reason the original breechplug woudn't work for an easily ignited powder such as SW MPB? Should I use magnum primers with it?

Wont be able to test the different breech plug before going hunting Friday but will keep the other breechplug handy. Any chance changing to it would change the rifles sight in?

It shouldn't. There's some small o-rings that you can use in the primer pocket that help with blowby.
I'm sure that someone can put up the link where to get them.

Well sighted it in with Hornady 250 gr. Monoflex's pushed by 100 grains of Shooters world MPB. Accuracy even with my Grandson shooting is under 2 inches for three shots. I do have a snivel though, seems like there is a lot of blow by past the primer getting some heavy residue on the face of the reciever upper right corner. To me this breech plug is very sloppy, it beeing a Nitride aftermarket one made for 209. Primers are very loose in it and the through hole is larger than that on the new looking original breechplug. Is there any reason the original breechplug woudn't work for an easily ignited powder such as SW MPB? Should I use magnum primers with it?
My new Optima got an SSK plug with adapters and so far no need for o rings and CCI primers are coming
out clean . But I have the CVA BH plug and the standard plug and even with o rings got some blow by which is why they sit on the shelf . With the SSK and a 4pak of liners cheaper than the CVA plugs! /Ed

It shouldn't. There's some small o-rings that you can use in the primer pocket that help with blowby.
I'm sure that someone can put up the link where to get them.
I did test the orings, 4 shots per and done. I believe the breechplug was either machined too loose in the primer pocket or is shot out.

My new Optima got an SSK plug with adapters and so far no need for o rings and CCI primers are coming
out clean . But I have the CVA BH plug and the standard plug and even with o rings got some blow by which is why they sit on the shelf . With the SSK and a 4pak of liners cheaper than the CVA plugs! /Ed
I will order the SSK plug and liners as soon as I get back from Hagerman NWR. Other than being a bit dirty the rifle is reliable and accurate enough for practical purposes.

I did test the orings, 4 shots per and done. I believe the breechplug was either machined too loose in the primer pocket or is shot out.
Only 4? That’s no good. Maybe poor quality o-rings? I haven’t had a problem getting 20+ per o-ring. Typically don’t even see much wear on them after a dozen or so shots.

I get 15-20 shots on McMaster carr o rings on my optima v2 for reference. Never had one fail, just changed them out at that point.

I really Like the SWBP and have been shooting as my goto first Sub for my In Line rifles. It has performed well with little fouling. My Local Scheels keeps it in stock and have also been selling the Pellet version for 19.99 a bottle but I am not a pellet guy. I have not had any issues with the blow by on my QRBP on my Optima V2

I will order the SSK plug and liners as soon as I get back from Hagerman NWR. Other than being a bit dirty the rifle is reliable and accurate enough for practical purposes.
I'm getting a lot of blow by on my Accura V2 using Cci 209M primers and 80grn blackhorn by volume. The SSK plug is very good deal for the price and I'm going to be ordering one soon! With the vent liners I shouldn't have to worry about buying another breech plug!

I get 5-10 shots per O ring on my Blackhorn QRBP before its toast. A lot of blow by with out, almost none with the O ring. Using Cheddite primers.

Back