Saturdays shooting of the Disc Elite 45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
SANY0813.jpg

The day was rainy...all day!! The walnut Disc Elite was begging to play. I couldn't resist!
Light rain and a 10mph head wind didn't hurt shooting that bad, but blew a lot of smoke back into my shop. After growing 130 Hyacinth bulbs for my daughters wedding, the shop smelled pretty girly and was in need of a more manly smell.

I dug out the BH209 that I had in the cupboard along with some 200 grain XTP's in .400 (10mm) and some light blue Harvester Sabots.

SANY0808.jpg

Using the pivoting shooting table, (good for leftys as well as rightys), I settled in for a day of relaxation. Just me and my Magilla Stomper, the Mighty Knighty 45.

SANY0809.jpg

I was able to watch the target via closed circuit tv, using my video camera, a spotting scope and a dedicated 13" color tv.

SANY0807.jpg

Shooting a 200 grain 10mm XTP, in a Light Blue Harvester Sabot, over 120 grains of BH 209, lit by a Federal 209A, the Elite put em under MOA at .820"

SANY0800.jpg

Moving on to the 150 yard target, the group with the same load was impressive at 1.510". As you can see the 180 gr. Barnes did even better at 1.288"
Why the Barnes Group at 100 yards was larger than the 150 yard group is somewhat puzzling. Most like likely shooter error. The 180 Barnes load needs some work IMO. I think I just need more confidence in this load.
SANY0806.jpg

The 200 grain XTP's did OK at 200 yards with a so-so group of 4.14"
Again, I think this load sizzles, and the Elite and this load shoot better than I am actually able.

SANY0805.jpg

Moving back to the 100 yard target, I went to 120 grains of 777ffg under the 180 Barnes SF with Blue Harvester Sabot, and bingo. .760"
This load although not BH 209 should be a "Gilla" slapper at best. 8)

Today I shot again, only using the 50 caliber Disc Elite... and though fodder for another post, I never realized how damn great the Crushed Ribs are! Wow!! I tested them against the MMP original Blacks and the Crushed Ribs shrunk my groups by half!! I was impressed to say the least. I think they are just what my Knights like.

Also, one more thing...Jnrbronc and I bought some Hornady 250 (.452) FTX in bulk. They look just like the SST only the tip is slightly more fexable for use in lever guns under the ammo name LeverRevolution.
So for those of you who want to buy SST's in bulk...I am here to say they shoot great!!! SMOA 100yards, 110 gr. 777 ffg, Win. 209, and Harvester Crush Rib in black.

Does anyone have any idea how terminal performance compares to SST's????????

...and what is the velocity of 200 gr. XTP over 120gr BH209?

WOW!!! What a cool set up. Now I have something to plan for...

That is some real good long distance shooting there. Amazing what that BlackHorn and that Triple Seven powder will do. Those XTP's and Barnes are good shooters.

It would be interesting to see what that 180 gr Barnes fireball will do to one of them MONSTER bucks you have around there. I have a feeling it would open, expand, tear through, and out the other side.

It would be interesting to know the velocity of those loads. Again, nice shooting there.

spitpatch,

If I am understanding correctly, you were shooting out of your shop and able to see the target via video cameras? That has to be the best set up I have heard. I am jealuos!

Great shooting by the way

I wouldnt call that lazy. Just means you are able to get more time in shooting.

Spit

Really cool set up, best I've seen. Look like you had fun expermentin. What have been your results with the 175 grain barns SF at 110 gr and 120 grain charges . Is that 180 grain SF some of the traditions some one spoke of. If so what is the part # traditions does not have pictures of all their bullets on their site.
Wayles

Good report, Spit!

Do you have the targets on a moving support, remotely controlled? You might give that some thought if not. :wink:

OK, so don't answer me!! 8)

Re: Spit

wayles said:
Really cool set up, best I've seen. Look like you had fun expermentin. What have been your results with the 175 grain barns SF at 110 gr and 120 grain charges . Is that 180 grain SF some of the traditions some one spoke of. If so what is the part # traditions does not have pictures of all their bullets on their site.
Wayles
Wayne...My son in law shoots the 175's . I have no real experience yet save the one group with 130gr. BH209......pitiful.
I know they will shoot straight if I work on the load.
Need to ask Lane that question. He has more experience with 175"s.

I will try to post the part number soon.

Great report and pics Spit :yeah:

Take a breather and give us the details on the .50 Elite results too. I have a new SS .45 Elite I'm picking up next month. Looks like a winner with BH209 or 777. 8)

How was the the recoil with 120 of BH209 ? Are the 180 Barnes flat based or boat-tail ?

Thanks... Rob

Great report Spitpatch!

Those 200gr XTP's can't be beat on an accuracy/price ratio. That shop, or "hideout" looks like a great place to shoot and do all kinds of manly stuff. So I guess this means that you survived the weedding? Looking forward to more .45 reports in the future.

rt_con said:
Great report and pics Spit :yeah:

Take a breather and give us the details on the .50 Elite results too. I have a new SS .45 Elite I'm picking up next month. Looks like a winner with BH209 or 777. 8)

How was the the recoil with 120 of BH209 ? Are the 180 Barnes flat based or boat-tail ?

Thanks... Rob

Flat base....recoil was MILD...bout like a 410!

Yeah ...I survived ....but my pocketbook will have to undergo some intensive therapy!

Thanks for remembering... 8)

Splitpatch, Did you put the camera in the weeds to camouflage it??

Dave

That is seriously funny Spitpatch. I showed the pictures to the wife and demanded the same treatment as you seem to get. With Mother In Law in tow we are now trying to do a deal on the kitchen window for my shooting lane. Awesome. And very, very funny indeed. You have set my household a buzz and that is for sure. never be the same again.

Spit

Spit.....thanks for posting the # but it appears I'm way late by about a year. The 195 and 130 grains BH was doin great this last week end for me. 120 grai and 130 gr darn near shot identical POI. I,m impressed with the combo. Still believe the SSt does a smidge better but I will have to try both agin at 300 to see for sure. I like the potential terminal performance of the barns better tho.
Wayles

Underclocked said:
Good report, Spit!

Do you have the targets on a moving support, remotely controlled? You might give that some thought if not. :wink:

OK, so don't answer me!! 8)

Still thinkin bout it...waitin on a UC invention :p

Re: Spit

wayles said:
Spit.....thanks for posting the # but it appears I'm way late by about a year. The 195 and 130 grains BH was doin great this last week end for me. 120 grai and 130 gr darn near shot identical POI. I,m impressed with the combo. Still believe the SSt does a smidge better but I will have to try both agin at 300 to see for sure. I like the potential terminal performance of the barns better tho.
Wayles

Wayne...I have some 200 grain XTP FTX ordered...I like the idea of bulk purchasing. If they fly like the 250's they will be the bombs!

What sabot should I try? Does Harvester make a 45 cal crushed rib?
Also, doe they make a 50/40 in crushed rib?

That stock looks like crap.... :roll: :lol: :wink:

Good shootin' fer an old guy.... 8)

Latest posts

Back