Modify Traditions Accelerator Breech Plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know Badger Ridge will modify these plugs but I am capable of doing my own and have done CVA plugs following Ron's procedures and they have worked great. I have a couple Traditions rifles that I am thinking of modifying to use a vent liner so as to not have any BH issues and save on plugs. Anyone see any reason I couldn't do the 5/32 flame channel and 3/8in deep 82 deg mod on these plugs? They have a flat face on the powder side and a rubber o ring to seal.
Thanks
John

Attachments

• 20201221_225810.jpg
    20201221_225810.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201221_225657.jpg
    20201221_225657.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201221_225803.jpg
    20201221_225803.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I modified my accelerators breech plug in the same fashion that I did my cva hex head plug. The accelerator would work in the summer but in the inter I had problems with bh209. I don’t remember exactly the dimensions I went with tho.

Thanks for the reply. I drilled the 5/32" channel yesterday and 3/8" deep on the countersink so far. Need a new 10-32 tap but I think I made need to go a little deeper. The metal in this breech plug seems harder than the CVA plugs. New drill bit seemed to be struggling as it cut despite using lots of oil and the countersink took a lot more oil to keep things from smoking too.
John

If you drilled the 3/8" using the countersink bit I wouldn't go any further. You need some distance between the primer and the face of the vent liner. The 5/32 channel will provide plenty of hot fire to the powder. If you drill too deep with the 3/8" you might start getting blown primers since there's no room for the pressure to buffer a little.

Ive always liked a good volume FLASH CHANNEL but its a balancing act. Just look at the Omega, Lehigh and CVA BH209 plugs.....The channel volume is less than a Lehigh Knight plug. The volume in my NULA plug is dinky too but the primer fits EXACTLY with 1 brand of primer.

Less volume increases pressure on the primer but it also wears the flash HOLE slower. Less volume to fill if the primer is sealing good. So getting the primer sealed by crushing slightly is more important. The better the primer fits the less chance of problems. Since its an unknown i would only set the vent slightly below flush with the powder side. In other words with the vent installed the head on the Lehigh vent is just a little below flush.

Thanks Mr. Tom and GM54. I left the depth at 3/8" and the vent is slightly below being flush as opposed to being a little bit deeper on the CVAs. Will leave it there and give it a try when I get a chance after the hunting season. Looking to prevent issues with this Vortek when its cold.

John

Last edited:
I drill all of my CVA plugs to the 3/8" that I'd read about and have very good cold weather ignition with BH209. The stop on the drill press came loose and I got one plug for my Accura deeper than the 3/8" and I just went ahead and tapped it for the liner. When I shot that plug with a 77 grain weighed charge [110 by volume] I blew some primers so I tossed the plug but kept the liner. That cavity left at 3/8" is plenty to get the 209 lit up.

Watching this thread. Maybe this is a solution to my unreliable Traditions Vortek?

I have a couple of Vortek amongst many other muzzleloaders but do not use them much. One has the strikerfire ignition (no hammer) and when I put the modified plug into it, the striker would not lock? This was the gun I had intended to use the plug in. Put the original plug back in and it locks fine. I put the modified one in the "other" Vortek and it locks fine and fired a primer with no issues, albeit rather dirty but have not installed any o-ring. Just grabbed a primer and popped it off. I do not have another plug on hand to modify but once I get one will do the mod again and see what happens. If the first plug I modified blows the primer I will trash it like Mr. Tom suggests.

LanceS, don't know if this will solve your problems or not. I have no issues with either Vortek using BH when its not cold out but have read, heard and seen a friend having issues when shooting BH in the cold so I never used the rifle below freezing.

Last edited:
LanceS, don't know if this will solve your problems or not. I have no issues with either Vortek using BH when its not cold out but have read, heard and seen a friend having issues when shooting BH in the cold so I never used the rifle below freezing.

After 10 years mine started having failure to ignite the powder. LONG thread on the forum. This was in Jul and Aug, while getting prepped for an elk hunt. Got new BH, changed primers, even new BP. And, I use a purpose built drill bit cleaning set for the BP. I still popped a primer, no powder ignition, on a bull!! Traditions literally told me that if the rifle popped the primer, it worked as intended. This rifle has taken a lot of game, but is now relegated to backup (although I haven't experimented enough with the o-rings I bought, that the very knowledgeable folks here recommended.).
New Knight ultralight is my go-to now.

Back