scope issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmaster1

Reaction score
Hello,
Still trying to get use to my muzzle loader, because of kids sports, etc.. I have just now started to learn how to shoot my muzzle loader.

I have a Thompson Center Triumph with a Leupold ultimate slam 3x9x40 scope on it. I was in a hurry to get my scope mounted, so I bought some scope rings, I think they were about 15.00, ANYWAY, MY SCOPE IS NOT 100% straight, I have a bushnell bore sighter, it stays on the end of my barell, but after shooting last night, I seen a gap at the top of one the rings that was wider than the other one. when I tried to straighten my scope with the bore sighter, I had to turn the left and right knob all the way over to the right dial, to where it will not turn any further. it is 99% on the bore sighter, but will this create a problem if the scope is not 100% straight on?
Like I said, this is my first muzzle loader and putting a scope on myself, so I am doing this by guess, I have tried to adjust the rings, but cannot get it to be dead on.
With the turn dial all the way over on one side, won't that come to haunt me down the road?
Just need some help on these matters.

Thank You for the help.
Brian

duckmaster1 said:
Hello,
Still trying to get use to my muzzle loader, because of kids sports, etc.. I have just now started to learn how to shoot my muzzle loader.

I have a Thompson Center Triumph with a Leupold ultimate slam 3x9x40 scope on it. I was in a hurry to get my scope mounted, so I bought some scope rings, I think they were about 15.00, ANYWAY, MY SCOPE IS NOT 100% straight, I have a bushnell bore sighter, it stays on the end of my barell, but after shooting last night, I seen a gap at the top of one the rings that was wider than the other one. when I tried to straighten my scope with the bore sighter, I had to turn the left and right knob all the way over to the right dial, to where it will not turn any further. it is 99% on the bore sighter, but will this create a problem if the scope is not 100% straight on?
Like I said, this is my first muzzle loader and putting a scope on myself, so I am doing this by guess, I have tried to adjust the rings, but cannot get it to be dead on.
With the turn dial all the way over on one side, won't that come to haunt me down the road?
Just need some help on these matters.

Thank You for the help.
Brian

What rings and bases are they? each are different.

I think if I were you, I would get some Warne rings and bases, and start over. You have too good of a rifle and scope to trust it to a set of $15.00 rings. Although then, I use some Tradition rifles ($16.00) and they have been working great.

Another option is take the rifle to a gun smith and have them check it all over and reset it if need be.

scope

x2 cayuga. Your optics should match and probably exceed what you have in your rifle.

Back