Barrel question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave James

Reaction score
Have played with the 54cal Renie a little now and am not happy with the little calibere, would like to bump up to at lest 60 cal..

Have driffted thru Track of the Wolf site but haven't found a barrel just yet, any one know if or where to go with this? Doesn't have to be a round ball only twist.

Are you looking for a drop-in or can you improvise adapt and overcome? I have a .58 cal and a .62 cal octagonal barrel new never used made by Bauska MFG in Montana. They are 1 1/16" across the flats and 36" long both have a 1in 72" twist. They are in the white. They are tapped for a 7/8" breechplug if I remember correctly. I will part with either or both for $85 each +S&H.

If you are going to use the Renegade as your stock you are limited a little to a .58 or .62 smoothbore. Both are made by Green Mountain Barrel Co. I have the .58 with a 1-70 twist and it is a great barrel.

You can go to a custom gun maker and have them build you a .62 caliber roundball shooter. That would be a real knock down rifle..

Yep wanted to stay with the Renegade, finding left handed stuff is hard enough.

cayuga, any idea why GM holds at smoothbore in the 58/62 type??

Wonder if it would be over stressing the rifle per say

Mont,yep would prefer a drop in,

Dave James said:
Yep wanted to stay with the Renegade, finding left handed stuff is hard enough.

cayuga, any idea why GM holds at smoothbore in the 58/62 type??

Wonder if it would be over stressing the rifle per say

Mont,yep would prefer a drop in,

At GMB the .58 is not a smoothbore, it is a 1-70 twist rifle and is an excellent shooter. The .62 is a smoothbore. I own(ed) both. I sold the smoothbore because I bought a different one, but had shot it a lot and never saw any stress problems. With that smoothbore I would shoot 80 grains and a 325 grain ball. Lots of powder there.

In my .58 I shoot 110 grains of 2f powder and a 284 ball. Very accurate.

If you are looking for a left hand barrel, you are going to have some trouble there. You will need to contact GMB as I do not think they make them.

cayuga, thanks have run into that problem before, one reason I went with the underhammer for the big bore, may have to go back to shooting right hand locks.

Mis read your post, was a little baffled about a smooth bore 58, now I understand.Will have to call GMB, will have to do a search in my back issues of the Black Powder Hunting mag, for the old time barrel makers.

May just sell the ole girl and be done with it.

Latest posts

Back