Michigan Muzzleloader Shipping Laws

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielojones2002

Reaction score
I was on cabela's website today and it says that if you live in the state of michigan you need to check your local laws before ordering muzzleloaders. I was wondering if anyone here from michigan might know what do you have to do to get a muzzleloader if you order it online? I scanned through the firearm laws of michigan and did not notice anything. This may be a problem since I am currently the highest bidder on a cap & ball revolver on gunbroker.com and was not aware of this law.

Two years ago, I ordered my muzzleloader from Cabela`s. I first called the Macomb County Sheriff, and seeing that it is a muzzleloader, they said there are no restrictions. Cabela`s then sent me a letter that I had to get notorized to prove who I was. I then faxed the letter back to Cabela`s, and they shipped me my gun right away. It`s not so bad. But first check with your local law enforcement to see if you need to get anything from them. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

I ordered a Kodiak Pro from them in Dec of last year. I called weekly because they said I needed to sign and noterize who I was and I hadn't recieved them. In January, after finally getting and sending back my papers, they said they were out of that gun. They still are advertizing it on sale yet (Kodiak Pro all camo with scope). I did by an Accura and am very happy.

Dave

danielojones2002 said:
I was on cabela's website today and it says that if you live in the state of michigan you need to check your local laws before ordering muzzleloaders. I was wondering if anyone here from michigan might know what do you have to do to get a muzzleloader if you order it online? I scanned through the firearm laws of michigan and did not notice anything. This may be a problem since I am currently the highest bidder on a cap & ball revolver on gunbroker.com and was not aware of this law.

daniel,

Cabelas requires a "Verification of Information" form that includes your name/address/date of birth/age and your signature after the following.

"I AM NOT UNDER INDICTMENT FOR, NOR HAVE I BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY PUNISHABLE BY IMPRISONMENT FOR FOUR (4) YEARS OR MORE; OR AS PROVIDED BY LAW, I HAVE MET THE CONDITIONS AFTER CONVICTION WITH MY RIGHT RESTORED."

You then sign the form in front of a Notary Public and have them notarize it, then the signed original can be mailed or faxed to Cabelas.

This is required for a paintball gun, black powder rifle or black powder pistol from Cabelas. I think this is a blanket form they use for all black powder gun sales, and is probably a CYA for everything form.

The only requirement I know of from Michigan for a black powder RIFLE is that you are at least 18 years of age, and most sellers want to see a copy of your drivers license/identification for proof.

You may have local laws that may require registration of a cap and ball revolver, so check that out with your local sheriff's office first. They make conversion cylinders for the cap and ball revolvers that shoot brass cartridges, there might be additional laws covering that, so check first. They may need to be registered like a conventional hangun/pistol/revolver?

michigan gun laws

it can not be a muzzle loader with replaceable barrel, like the tc encore, you can make it a pistol or centerfire

Thank you guys

I checked my local laws and I do not have to register a cap & ball revolver. So I should be able to have the revolver shipped directly to my house.

Latest posts

Back