new mexico whitetail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
bro in law took this opening day oct.28th @ 7:30am with his 22-250, shot was high and broke the spine. 4 shots from his .40cal sidearm finally did it in. Poor bullet performance from the law enforement bullets he was using as i had recovered one of the neck shot bullets. No mushrooming or anything. All of the neck shots were from 3 yards away and 2 feet being the cloest for the head shot ( I had to force him on that one as he was affraid of ruining the rack)
Its a 6x7 with double brow tines that stick straight forward under its hair. His nephew also shot a big body 2x2 mule deer.
100_6135.jpg

100_6130.jpg

100_6130.jpg

I didn't know that New Mexico had whitetails! What part of the state was that taken from ??

Didn't know NM had whitetails either, thought they were Coues{sp} and Mulies.

Hunted Elk near there a few years ago, didn't see any Whitetails but had bigger game on my mind.

Great deer, sorry to hear about the law enforcement ammo non performance. That might explain alot. I sometimes get called to "dispatch" a wounded deer on I64. With heavy traffic, Im not too keen on using the cruiser shotgun and buckshot to do the job and sometimes use my sidearm. We use .40 Federal Tactical out of Glock 23s and never does it just take one shot. I think these deep hollowpoints might get "plugged" by animal hair, etc before opening on deer. That was an issue with the Hydroshocks ( not animal hair but heavy outer clothing) we used to use and the Tacticals were supposed to have addressed that issue. I suppose it would be a liability issue to have too much penetration and a mushroom like perhaps a Barnes bullet might offer.

Nice deer! Why was he using a 22-250? That doesn't seem like a very good deer round.

i was thinking the same thing. Not allowed to use something that small here in maine for big game

Back