Another Newbie from Indiana

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've been hunting shotgun for years, but finally decided to get into muzzleloading this year to extend the season. I traded an un-huntable 30-30 even for the Remington Genesis - the one with the cammo thumbhole stock and the stainless fluted barrel. So far I'm VERY pleased with it. I've fired it a couple dozen times with balls and patches and Pyrodex RS to season the barrel and twice with some sabots that came with a ML kit I bought. I'm not sure what they are, actually.

I have a sight coming, but it won't arrive until after Christmas so all my hunting this year will be with the iron. Bore sighting got me close enough for 50yd hunting shots.

Next step is to work up a load. Any advice in that area? I've been looking at the Burris all-copper loads with lust, but I'll have to mail order them to test them out. Are they any good?

In my stainless Genesis I shoot 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 300 grain .44 caliber Hornady XTP in a green harvester crushed rib sabot. Excellent accuracy.

It also shoots shockwaves in 250 grain excellent as well. Be sure to swab the bore between shots. My rifle so far is an excellent shooter. If you want to shoot Barnes all copper 250 grain Expanders, I am sure they would shoot well.

This rifle is also supposed to shoot the 350 grain Hornady FBP conicals with some outstanding accuracy. So the field is wide open. Welcome to the forum and the sport.

Latest posts

Back