Knight .50cal muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSchrisman

Reaction score
I am setting up my knight .50cal muzzleloader LK-93 and trying to figure out what powder to use. I haven't ever shot it before, but I it uses a number 11 cap. Can I use the tablet kind of powder, or do I need something different?

Thanks,
Justin

Any of the real black powders or Pyrodex would be a good starter powder. There's a learning curve with muzzleloaders and any of these powders fit right in with what you will be learning. To get the hang of things you might find it easier to buy the bullet/sabot combos sold in stores in the clam packs. It won't take you long to move right into more advanced ideas/areas so don't spend a ton of money to get started. Triple & powders and Pyrodex off pellets and you may want to use those at first, but with any powder you'll want and need to develope very good cleaning practices the same day you shoot to prevent any rust or corrosion that comes with shooting black powder guns.

Keep reading here, Ask questions. Stay alert when you begin to avoid distractions, but relax and enjoy the shooting time.

I have the same exact gun. I shoot 85 grains of 2F or 3F loose Triple 7 with a saboted 240gr./250 gr. bullet of your choice. The polymer tipped bullets will group better than hollow points. I've killed deer out to 200 yards with this load. All 3 of my Knights group well with this load. My latest kill was a doe at 120 yards using a 250gr. Traditions Smack Down with 85 grains of 3F Triple 7. If I remember correctly, you need 209 primers to shot Triple 7 pellets so they wouldn't work with the #11 percussion caps.

I ran two 777 pellets with a 300 grain Hornady SST and the 209 conversion to the red Full Plastic Jacket primers. This was typically a two inch load at 100 yards with multiple LK-93s over several years.

With the #11 cap - I’d echo starting at 80 grains loose powder volume, and go from there. I think your sweet spot is going to around 85-90 grains volume.

The #11 cap typically won’t light the pellets reliably - hence the 209 conversion.

Can I use the tablet kind of powder, or do I need something different?

i assume you mean pellets. IME: Misfires happen when using #11 caps with 777 pellets. Pyrodex pellets have a black powder igniter and work better with #11 caps.

80 grains of granular 777 and the 240 grain .430 XTP in the crush rib sabot are a good load.

Back