Kentucky Elk....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
Has anyone on here won the lottery for the Ky Elk drawing they have every year?

I ask bc I put in every year but never get drawn and wanted to know if any actually won a tag. Its something I've always dreamed to do. Id love to do a bow hunt but now with my new ML bug Id go out in a heartbeat with the smoke pole also.

I've had my name in the draw every year it has been available but I've never been drawn. I gotta be getting closer by now..... KY has the largest elk herd east of the Mississippi River-over 10,000 animals now. The herd is so healthy that if you see an elk outside of the 16 county elk restoration zone and you have a valid deer tag, elk draw receipt (but you didn't get drawn) and hunting license, you can legally shoot it. They used to be native to KY before market hunting wiped them out. The restoration project sponsored by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has been a big success. I keep believing next year is my year.........

I read that back story on it.... Its a great success... Especc for eastern hunters who want to elk hunt on a budget

Being from Kentucky yes I know 4 local that have drawn tags. One was a daughter of a friend she drew a bull tag, three other guys drew cow tags this season or last. I know one that got a cow one other that didn't and I have not heard about the fourth if they did or not. They have switched things around where you put in for archery Bull Or cow or firearm Bull or Cow, you can put in for both I understand but any over that 2 will get all your chances thrown out. Lottery style $10 a chance limit 2 chances but they can't be for the same thing . If you draw there is another drawing for hunting units, you can put in for a favorite but if it gets filled you may have to settle for second or third choice. Give me a few minutes and I will try and find a picture of the young gal's bull....nice one.

One more..I don't know the lucky hunters name but he got a nice one.

some beautiful looking bull elk there.

Wisconsin has a small elk herd. In fact I think it was Kentucky that started the herd for us. But I will not swear to that. There are a couple hundred of them now. I have only seen them on three occasions. But the locals claim if you drive a certain road early in the morning, you will see them in the fields along the side of the road.

I am lucky that I have a open muzzleloader hunts within 50 miles of my home. It is for cows but we do have a draw bull tag that I put in for every year and there are HUGH bulls there. Ron

They say the next record bull will come out of Ky. Got a year round growing season with very little snow in the area they are in. If anyone draws a tag the Lost Mountain outfitters have had more success than any other since the hunts started. These guys live and breath Ky elk.

Latest posts

Back