Hawks 40cal bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with them. The guy i talked to was very nice and helpful.

They offer some interesting 40s for 45 sabots upto 250gr JHPs with a .025 thick jacket.

The website isnt updated but i got some of the 40cal 225gr JHPs. They are not the cheapest at $37 for 50 but i had to give them a shot since i like high sectional density 40s.

Anyone interested might want to give them a call to find out about the new offerings. They even have a 215gr for 45x40 which IMO may be nearly perfect weight for many 45 owners.

They also offer a few that are similar to the Barnes Originals Semi Spitzers but at a better price.

They arrived and dont look too bad.

Here it is compared to a few of my 40cals. Its the 2nd bullet from left. Hawks 40cal 225gr ML bullet. Photobucket it lagging right now so...

40cals-1.jpg

40cals-4.jpg

How accurate are the OD's on those hawks. Looks like they have quite a long bearing surface. May not shoot to well out of the 1/30 twist knights. I may try some of their 200gr which would be shorter. My guns don't like the long 200 gr lehigh but seems to want the shorter 185's Still more work to do before the Jury come in on them.

DC

minst7877 said:
How accurate are the OD's on those hawks. Looks like they have quite a long bearing surface. May not shoot to well out of the 1/30 twist knights. I may try some of their 200gr which would be shorter. My guns don't like the long 200 gr lehigh but seems to want the shorter 185's Still more work to do before the Jury come in on them.

DC

I just measured/weighted a couple and they are right at .400-224gr and they do have a long bearing surface. Most of the bullets in the pic have shot MOA or better in my Elite 45. The Lehigh 200gr and PR 250gr tipped BT have sofar been the hardest to get to MOA. They both are very close though. I haven't found the sweet spot for the little MG 165gr JHP yet either.

The main reason i got the 225gr JHP was that the Xtreme 220gr plated RNFP (3rd from left) shot VERY well in mine.

Xtrreme220grRNFP.jpg

I still have the Accura 45 with a slightly faster twist to try too.

BTW, i would call them. They have several that are NOT listed on the website.

Nice pics! That is a sweet-looking lineup you have there. It'll be interesting to see how the Hawk's shoot - it looks right, if that counts for anything.

santoslhalper said:
Nice pics! That is a sweet-looking lineup you have there. It'll be interesting to see how the Hawk's shoot - it looks right, if that counts for anything.

I can say right now, they are WAY over priced but if you wanna get the uncommon hunting weights you got to pay or cast your own. Some PR bullets are probably more so its not that bad really....i guess...cheaper than Powerbelts too. :D

They do offer a style like the Barnes Originals that i would like to try just because they are cheaper than the BOs. Those in a .40 215gr or 220gr SS would be interesting.

Back