Inlines and real BP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Anybody have any issues with using real BP in an inline ?  I have a CVA Buckhorn converted to musket caps and I am planning on using about 100 gr of Olde Eny. in it.  Just wondering if there were any fouling issues that would not crop up in a sidelock.

Be aware that there are real full power musket caps and there are musket caps made for "reenactment".   You do not want the reenactment caps, they will not reliably ignite any type of powder.    

How it got this way:

A Mensa candidate lost an eye when a musket cap fragmented during a reenactment:  Yep, the guy was not wearing glasses.  Our "victim" sued CCI who fixed the problem by making very weak musket caps for "reenactment".   RWS soon followed suit; they changed their 1081 caps.   The new RWS 1081 caps are no good either.  

You want the RWS 1218 six winged musket caps, the old CCI four winged caps or the old RWS 1081 caps.

with the real black powder you still may even be ok with those reenactment caps.

You can always switch back to <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> caps too and still have probably close to 100% sure fire ignition with olde eynsford.

I'd start around 80 and give that a try and as Pete said, Swab between shots with a lightly damp patch paying close attention by the breech.

I have used the reenactment caps in my inlines with loose Pyrodex and Goex  BP had no problems so far.

A lot of reenactors bore out their nipples for " better ignition". It's no stretch of the imagination to see fragged caps as a result. Its awesome to see what happens if they forget to put a good nipple in and pop a live round.
" Where'd the cap go? Why is my hammer blown back and why is my bolster copper colored?"
I was the ordnance nco for my company. Ask me me how I know...

Latest posts

Back