I Really Messed Up Buying a Knight...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...Cause now I know for sure it won't be my last :D

I did a lot of research over the last few months and decided that I wanted a Knight Disc Elite in 45 cal. A big thank you to n8dawg6, and now I finally have one.
CopyofIMG_0245_zpsece736de.jpg

I topped it off with a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 scope, also courtesy of n8dawg6. It's held in place with med. height Warne steel rings.

I went to the range today and within 3 shots, had it ready for some 100 yard shooting.

First up were 200gr Hornady SSTs with the supplied sabots. Loading this bullet/sabot combo was fairly easy, what I would call med. loading force. I shot the following target at 100 yards with 110gr of BH209 and a Winchester 209 primer. The group measured slightly over an inch, not too shabby for my first try. Shot number 3 was the low one and by this time, the barrel was getting warm.
CopyofIMG_0247_zpsc9c0ece9.jpg

After about 15 mins letting the barrel cool in my car with the AC on, I was ready to try the Barnes 195gr Expanders with their supplied sabots. Loading pressure was like the SSTs. Again, 110gr BH209 with a Winchester primer. The 3rd shot is the one with a ? mark next to it. I feel it was all me and not the rifle so I loaded up again and shot a 4th Expander which printed close to the other two. With all 4 shots, slightly over 2 inches, remove the 'me' and its 1 5/8. I'm a Barnes fan so this will be my hunting load this fall.
CopyofIMG_0248_zpsbcf8d88f.jpg

I recovered some sabots, they looked a little stressed but I most likely won't lower my charge, I'm after speed and distance. I have read some reports where they are pushing the Expanders even faster with 120gr of BH209 with good accuracy. Most likely, my next range session will be with some Harvester blue sabots and hopefully with a Lehigh NFPJ breech plug with removeable vent liner.
CopyofIMG_0251_zps689fce7e.jpg

195gr Barnes Expanders (left), 200gr Hornady SST (right)
CopyofIMG_0252_zps75fdb18e.jpg

That's some fine shooting and a sweet gun.

I actually have the same gun with a different scope. I've taken my last three deer with it and 110 of BH209 - 200 grain SSTs.

I see similar results but have moved to the Harvester Smooth Blue sabots. They seem to group a little better for me. Might be worth the $6 to give them a try.

buckdoehunter.....

Take a look at these two sabots. Both were attached to a Barnes 250gr TMZ. Actually I wish that pic had them side by side.

Look close at the one missing the base, you won't see any blow by. This sabot was shot with 100grs WEIGHT (143grs volume) of BH through my Ultimate. Sabot in the background was shot with 75grs WEIGHT (107grs Volume) from my Pro Hunter. When I recovered the sabot without the base, I thought it blew by. However what's actually happening is the base is expanded when it passes through the muzzlebrake, which is what's tearing up the base.

Go with the Harvester Smooth Blue Sabots and up the powder charge to 120 gr BH 209. Try the 200 gr Knight Bloodlines. You will not be disappointed.

Very nice shooting. My theory is, even if the sabots look ruff, as long as the rifle shoots well is all I care about. Shooting the blue sabots for a .40 caliber bullet in a .50 caliber rifle, I have had them blow parts off and look like something was terrible wrong. Until you look at the target.

That load your shooting will be a real deer stopper. Nice looking rifle.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Nice going there B D H :yeah:

Ray.... :wink:

Buying a Knight...

I have messed up three times now and continue to look. My Elite 45 like the 185 gr. Bloodlines pushed by 115 gr. BH209 lit by a Rem STS. However I have the Lehigh NFPJ conversion. They are sweet shooting guns.

I don't think you have "Messed" up at all, well not yet anyway. When you get to 5, then we can talk! :wink: :lol:

Oh and Yesssss I still look! Just can't help it. :oops: :D

Had 4 still have 2. I also want a .45 extreme. But I don't even shoot the bighorn enough. I put the barska scope on it and don't have as much time to take with it. Not getting rid of it, I'm not making this mistake again.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Don't worry others have messed up just like you will.
MK-85 Predator Carbine in 54 caliber
Disc Elite SS in 50 caliber with factory camo stock
Disc Elite SS in 45 calbier

Latest posts

Back