Finally got to try the BH209 and XTP on a big doe!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinginairos

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first day of our antlerless season so I decided to get in the stand with the Encore .50 and try to get the big doe that has been tormenting me this year :twisted: Like clockwork she came out of the thicket testing the air and acting really spooky. She came in behind me and got within 20 yards but like always she caught me moving my camera into position and ran out to about 45 yards. She made the mistake of stopping broadside and I put the 240gr XTP powered by 110 grains of BH209 right through her lungs. She made a mad dash 75 yards and crashed hard. The entry hole inside the hide was almost baseball sized and her lungs were shot completely in two. The exit hole was the same size. I am very happy with how this load performed! I have pictures and video, I will try to get them uploaded this evening!

Congratualtions on your doe. The Hornady 240gr XTP is designed for a "MAX" velocity of 1800 FPS. With your load of 110 grains of BH-209 you are at the MAX velocity for the XTP which is why you had a baseball sized hole.

But then again "Dead" is "Dead" isn't it.

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
Congratualtions on your doe. The Hornady 240gr XTP is designed for a "MAX" velocity of 1800 FPS. With your load of 110 grains of BH-209 you are at the MAX velocity for the XTP which is why you had a baseball sized hole.

But then again "Dead" is "Dead" isn't it.

Chocdog

Never really thought of that LOL. Is it really a bad thing though? I still got a full pass through and the load is very accurate at 100 yards.

Congratulations on the doe. Sounds like that XTP did just what it was supposed to do. Happy eating and nice shooting.

Here's a few pics, notice the exit wound right above the back part of my scope...
16165_196552041181_502026181_2957376_3910259_n.jpg

16165_196552046181_502026181_2957377_6158184_n.jpg

doe

ooohh man you got snow!! And that is a big doe, lot;s of eatin there my friend

Re: doe

Bucker said:
ooohh man you got snow!! And that is a big doe, lot;s of eatin there my friend

First snow of the year! I love hunting in the snow, it made tracking her VERY easy! :D

That is a BIG Doe even for West Virginia. You had a cold evening hunt but a rewarding hunt...thats what counts.

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
That is a BIG Doe even for West Virginia. You had a cold evening hunt but a rewarding hunt...thats what counts.

Chocdog

She was pretty good size. I have one on the property that makes her look like bambi :shock: I swear she looks like a cow. I got some pics of her on my trailcam and she absolutely dwarfed the other deer. I'd like to get her with my bow but thats almost impossible this time of year!

Good to see the "next" generation of ML shooters do the D.R.T. (dead right there).

Chocdog

I've also had some great results with BH209 and an XTP. Last week was our regular shotgun season and I took a BB (I thought was a doe when I shot) at about 50yds on a high shoulder shot and he dropped in his tracks. The deer on the bottom.

IMG00033-20091130-1514.jpg

On the last day I took a big bodied but smaller rack buck. I could see his top of his shoulder up to about his ears. Put one through his neck and he dropped where he stood. Shot was about 80 yds through some thick area.

IMG00038-20091206-0903.jpg

Omega with a Leuopold fixed 4 power scope shootin 100g by volume of BH209 and TC 300g XTP.

Thanks for the vials Lane!!

I used that same load on my buck this year. The lungs were completely destroyed with a consistency of runny jello.

Great Video. Even in the dim lighting the blood trail was pronounced.

Chocdog

Latest posts

Back