hunting central va

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellerja

Reaction score
Ive combed the different topics on this forum.I hope it will fit here.I am going to be hunting public land this year and am looking for folks input on experiences in the Powhatan, Amelia, Cumberland. areas of Virginia.i haven't hunted Cumberland state forest in 20+ years with that I heard it's a mad house. :think:

JMO, but it seems VA has gotten like a few other states when it comes to Public Land, I'd say do the home work , contact the Game department and see what they can give you, any time I have asked them they have been most helpfull

Can't really help you with specifics, I'm in Northern VA. I can say the WMAs can become shooting gallerys on the weekends such that I won't hunt them unless I can get a day off in the week. The national forests (George Washington and Jefferson) do not get as crowded and apparently hold some big deer, but in lesser quantities as some other areas. I would get in touch with the Nat'l Forest Ranger District you are in. They can be helpfull if you find someone that is hunter friendly.
stelprdb5392072.gif

forgot to add, don't pass over any of the military post/bases ect, if in your area of intrest, most offer hunts, and I have been rather sucsessfull at Picket as well as more down my way in Tidewater

I was like SteveH, I was in Northern VA. And like Dave James mentioned the military installations can be good hunting. Quantico, AP Hill, and Fort Pickett are decent hunting, you do have to deal with the military crap (closed areas for training, etc). I hunted the GWNF near Front Royal about 9 or 10 years ago when I lived in VA and I have taken a couple deer off of there. It is highly populated and walking in a good ways is your best bet. Same with Phelps WMA between Culpepper and Fredericksburg I have had success there also. But its a popular spot.

Next February or March I would talk to the biologist in Richmond about places with a lot of crop damage and knock on doors. Help them out during the summer and come fall time you can fill the freezer. Might even get to use DMAP tags. Now is the worst time to ask for permission, right before hunting season.

AJ said:
I was like SteveH, I was in Northern VA. And like Dave James mentioned the military installations can be good hunting. Quantico, AP Hill, and Fort Pickett are decent hunting, you do have to deal with the military crap (closed areas for training, etc). I hunted the GWNF near Front Royal about 9 or 10 years ago when I lived in VA and I have taken a couple deer off of there. It is highly populated and walking in a good ways is your best bet.

Funny, I am setting up a one or two day hunt in the GW Nat'l Forrest in the area you describe (Lee Ranger District). I got some really good advice from the head ranger of that office, with him actually giving me driving directions as access to the forests can be challenging through private lands. So figure out which district is closest to you and call their office.

I am a firm believer in hunting the public land early, especially up North in the WMAs. They get heavy pressure, especially the ones that allow bear hunting with dogs (Rapidan), such that the deer go nocturnal pretty quick.

Hopefully the ranger gave you a few areas to hunt that have either been logged, burned in the last five years or back up to private land . I have hunted the George Washington and Jefferson off and on for years - there are some really nice deer but you have to go back in for them. After day one they will not be around the roads much except when traveling.

Of course you season is over now but there is always next year. Got an update on how the hunt went?

Mtns2Hunt said:
Hopefully the ranger gave you a few areas to hunt that have either been logged, burned in the last five years or back up to private land . I have hunted the George Washington and Jefferson off and on for years - there are some really nice deer but you have to go back in for them. After day one they will not be around the roads much except when traveling.

Of course you season is over now but there is always next year. Got an update on how the hunt went?
Just saw this. Actually I passed on hunting the GWNF this year for a few reasons. The area I was planning to hunt was not near any agricultural areas, and with the poor acorn harvest, the likelihood of finding a deer deep in the forest did not seem too good. Also, I realized that the area was also within the CWD zone which would require some pretty strict handling requirements for any deer taken. Ended up spending a few days in the Thompson WMA. Hunting was a bust with very little deer sign, but was still good to be in the woods.

Thankfully I have access to some private agricultural land to keep the freezer filled.

Sorry to hear that your hunt was a bust. It is very difficult to hunt the George and Jefferson forest on short notice. I hunted two years before finally killing a deer - a very small one at that. Over the next several years I killed bear and several deer - missed a coupled of nice ones too. It takes a lot of time and effort to pattern the deer on public land and the slightest hint your there and the game is over. Not like hunting on the farm with its smorgas board of food and the deer do not bolt for the next county when they get a wif.

This year would have been a very good year for the clear cuts and burned areas due to the lack of acorns. I was going to hunt the Mtns this year myself but killed my three buck limit before I even got a chance.

Good that your have a decent place to hunt - but do not give up on the G & J with time and patience you could come out with a wall hanger because they have a chance to get some age. Best of luck on future hunts.

Latest posts

Back