What muzzleloader would YOU purchase??...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you purchase a new muzzleloader that wasn't 100% reliable with Blackhorn 209?

• No...I think a muzzleloader should function with all propellants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes...Too many other powders out there to worry about Blackhorn 209

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, I guess I just tied er up. 20 to 20.

I voted no, but I'd like to qualify that vote. I would not purchase another IN-LINE that wasn't 100% reliable with BH209.

flounder said:
I voted yes. In fact I just bought one a couple weeks ago that I know will never shoot this new powder. It's a knight wolverine, originally purchased in 1995, but still NIB.
I like the way this older style inline handles and the fact that I can't shoot BH209 in it doesn't bother me a bit. I have a disc extreme MHC and a disc elite that can shoot the stuff and if I ever see it on the shelf locally I plan on trying some.
Also, I think it is rather shortsighted to think BH209 is the final deal in black powder substitutes. I'm sure some chemists somewhere are working on another powder that will have the positive qualities of this powder without some of its shortcomings.
Art

Actually with an upgrade it will shoot it. They make a straight 209 plug for the Wolverine. Needs a new striker though.

younghunter_86 said:
I voted no because the #1 reason that I'm interested in muzzleloaders is for hunting.

When the seasons start, I would rather spend the 5 minutes previously used to clean the barrel after firing, on other things. And not have to have tha "did I clean it good enough?" thought running through my head.

Also BH209 eliminates the excuse for not wanting to fire off loads and start with a fresh one in the morning.

For target shooting totally different story. If T7 shoots the best I would still use it.

I really LIKE your thinking! Those are my points exactly.

I picked up smokeless muzzleloading a few years ago using a Savage 10ML-II then to a NULA as well. I didn't do that so much for the added performance of Triple Se7en/Pyrodex which smokeless DOES offer. I did it primarily because:

1. The necessity of a fouling shot before the hunt..
2. Worry about corrosion DURING extended hunting periods.
3. I hate the heck out of fouling left behind and the dreaded but omnipresent crud ring..
4. The necessity of having to clean practically immediately after shooting..
5. Crossing my fingers that the wind isn't in my face so I won't have to take a dose of Triple Se7en smoke..

Blackhorn 209 fixes SO many of my non-smokeless muzzleloading issues.

I of course voted no. I have spent more on muzzleloading since the introduction of BH209(3 months maybe?) than I did all last year. All that ONLY because of the availablity of BH209. Kind of reminds me of the good 'ol days!

Ive left my rifles loaded for over a week on a dirty bore. No problems and shot the same.

Clean the barrel after shooting at game is a huge No no for me. I always want a new load down the bore as soon as i fire so i will be ready if i need a second shot.

I'd be interested in seeing how long this bad corrosion actually takes before rust/pitting starts.

Fire the rifle a couple times, put it back on the wall or the in the safe and check it every other week.

I think I should menyion that my no vote was aimed at inlines I am working on another Hawken and it will be a copy of an original and I will continue a bit of pistol shooting more or less traditionally to. Lee
PS some how I read inline into it where it says muzzleloader.

Prolly cos it's in da inline forum.... 8) :wink:

What kinda pistols ya shootin'??

Batchief909 said:
Prolly cos it's in da inline forum.... 8) :wink:

I did think of that when I answered that I would buy a muzzleloader that did not work well with BH209 :?

And I will say that I would NOT buy an INLINE muzzleloader that did not function well with BH209. But my inline shooting/hunting is more about a better option in shotgun seasons in states like Iowa.

I guess, for me, "muzzleloading" and "black powder" shooting are not the same as "inline" shooting. JMO, and I admit I'm weird :roll:

Ya my vote NO was mainly thinking of inlines also.I still love my Sidelocks that i know will not shhot BH209.But for my inlines,now that i have tried BH209 myself,A Inline will have to be able to shoot it for me are Else i have no place for it.
Lee 9 said:
I think I should menyion that my no vote was aimed at inlines I am working on another Hawken and it will be a copy of an original and I will continue a bit of pistol shooting more or less traditionally to. Lee
PS some how I read inline into it where it says muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back