Omega and primer fit question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Reaction score
I finally got out to sight in my omega. Shooting .50cal 240gr. xtp's with 90 gr. of BH 209. I am using federal 209A primers. The question is how tight should the primers fit in the breech plug? They seem to fit somewhat loose. I can seat them and remove them with my fingers very easily. I just want to make sure that I am not going to loose any power due to the loose fit. There is some blowback under the block, but I don't know how much is "normal". Thanks, Eric

I shoot two Omegas and the primers do fit a little "loose" in the breech plug, but when I close the action everything "snugs up" and it is tight. I don't think you will lose any power. Both my Omegas are very accurate and kill deer. :wink:

How did your rifle shoot? And is that the .45 cal. 240 grn XTP (w/black sabot) or the .44 cal XTP (w/green sabot)?

With BH209 mine likes 110 grns and the 300/.452 XTP with a Harvester Crush Rib sabot.

Have fun.

The bullets are the .45cal 240 gr. xtp's with the black sabot. They seem to load fairly easy. I am getting 2'' groups so far. I am happy with that since this is all new to me. I am still tweaking the powder amount. I am really enjoying getting out with my son and shooting. The holes that I punch in the paper end up being the spot that he aims at with his .17HMR.
:lol: Thanks, Eric

mine fit tight and I get no blow back what so ever I do have to use a primer tools most times to remove them but I will take that over the blow back. I keep the tool in my pocket in-case of a 2nd shot with primers in it. Don't know why mine is different but i barely get a smudge on a patch after shooting 10 to 15 shots. BH 100 grs 285gr spitfire is the most accurate load in mine.

Latest posts

Back