Help me decide…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
So I have been wanting a .40 cal fast twist or I may even go with a .45 with the abundance of projectiles on the market vs the .40…but I can’t decide what to do..

first thought I am sure from most is the cva paramount..Wich is available in either caliber..but the 1:20 twist rate for the .40 and the 1:22 for the .45 kinda pushes me away as I’d rather be able to use a variety of projectiles instead of the powerbelt designed for the rifles..

second thought is to wait for the new knight peregrine. Or even a mountaineer in the .45 1-20 outfit…

third is a custom build, more than likely smokeless with the intent to use bh209 since smokeless isn’t legal in my state for muzzleloader season..even tho last season they let hunters use shotguns and straight wads cartridge rifles during the muzzleloader season..so who even knows…

if I went custom I have a spare omega(I own 7 of them this one just kinda sits)..it’s currently a .50 cal ss setup..I had thought about either A:having bestill do a smokeless build and wait to get on his next list if he does in fact do another run of custom omegas…or

B: send it to Bob Hoyt to see if he could do a barrel liner .45 cal 1-18 twist..but then I question if I can still use a stout charge of bh209 with the barrel liner? Say 75-84 grains by weight like I would if the barrel was still in factory Condition..

So I have been wanting a .40 cal fast twist or I may even go with a .45 with the abundance of projectiles on the market vs the .40…but I can’t decide what to do..

first thought I am sure from most is the cva paramount..Wich is available in either caliber..but the 1:20 twist rate for the .40 and the 1:22 for the .45 kinda pushes me away as I’d rather be able to use a variety of projectiles instead of the powerbelt designed for the rifles..

second thought is to wait for the new knight peregrine. Or even a mountaineer in the .45 1-20 outfit…

third is a custom build, more than likely smokeless with the intent to use bh209 since smokeless isn’t legal in my state for muzzleloader season..even tho last season they let hunters use shotguns and straight wads cartridge rifles during the muzzleloader season..so who even knows…

if I went custom I have a spare omega(I own 7 of them this one just kinda sits)..it’s currently a .50 cal ss setup..I had thought about either A:having bestill do a smokeless build and wait to get on his next list if he does in fact do another run of custom omegas…or

B: send it to Bob Hoyt to see if he could do a barrel liner .45 cal 1-18 twist..but then I question if I can still use a stout charge of bh209 with the barrel liner? Say 75-84 grains by weight like I would if the barrel was still in factory Condition..
I do Bob has done several liners 18 twist and I shoot 40-45 shots every Friday pushing a 530 gr PP Elliptical or Lyman Postell greaser 80-90 gr OE 2F ,I go thru lots of powder ! By the way I cast a ( Accurate mold)400 Slik in a lite blue sabot in my Paramount or the renegade with great results /Ed

My questions to you are, what and how far are you looking to shoot? What is your budget. This info will make it easier to point you in a direction.

Realistically I’d like to be confident in taking game out to 250-300 yards or further..my go to muzzlelaoder now is my 28” ss fluted omega and I can keep a pretty darn good group (2.5” off a rest) at 200 yards with the Barnes 290 tmz and 79 grains by weight of bh209 so a little extra distance on these cut corn fields and bean fields in Michigan is what I’m looking for..I’d love to be able to practice out to 400-500 yards. As far as budget goes..I’ve looked into bestill omegas and the price seems very fair in my opinion….I’d prefer to keep the rifle build or buy under 2k tho..

question..if I went with a bestill omega build I am pretty sure he uses a 26” maybe it’s even a 24” barrel..using bh209 would I be sacrificing velocity compared to a 28” barrel?

"question..if I went with a bestill omega build I am pretty sure he uses a 26” maybe it’s even a 24” barrel..using bh209 would I be sacrificing velocity compared to a 28” barrel?"

No. The barrels he uses are smokeless rated. All I will say is that charges above 84 gr by weight are doable for a custom Omega only!

Back