Got a Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a couple of Knights uears ago and they shot pretty good but I just couldn't find myself liking that plunger style ignition system and those horrible triggers. Well after reading posts on them on here and other forums and chatting with some friends I've made on these sites I finally broke down and ordered new Disc Extreme Xtra Straight. Stainless with synthetic camo stock. The price was good too on sale for $349. Once it comes in I'll be ordering the Lehigh bare 209 conversion for it.

Last edited:
what Knights did you have that had horrible triggers, Shadow or early Vision..Owned a ton of Knights and have never had a bad trigger but had heard those had triggers that were not great.
Congrats on the Disc Extreme.

what Knights did you have that had horrible triggers, Shadow or early Vision..Owned a ton of Knights and have never had a bad trigger but had heard those had triggers that were not great.
I had an old MK-85 .50 and a Black Knight .54. You had the safety then the plunger you had to pull back and then the secondary safety that you unscrewed. These were the first design. Nothing like today's Knights.

I had an old MK-85 .50 and a Black Knight .54. You had the safety then the plunger you had to pull back and then the secondary safety that you unscrewed. These were the first design. Nothing like today's Knights.
IMO the mk85's are the best Knights ever made with great trigger, If a shooter prefers to just use the trigger safety, that's all they have to use.

I have two MK85's and they both have Timney triggers in them. They both break clean at 3 pounds. I had a BK92 that also had the same trigger.

I guess I must have had the model number wrong then. The one I had had a #11 cap, the standard safety and the secondary safety via unscrewing the rear knob. You cocked it by pulling back on the plunger. The "sear" set in a notch in the plunger and under the pressure of the plunger spring. Disengaging from the plunger took a good deal of trigger pressure and a lot of creep. EDIT: I did check the schematic and it was an MK-85

Last edited:
One thing about muzzleloading is that anyone can "skin a cat" anyway they want to. After I got my first mk 85 I sold my disc extreme and disc elite. All my Knights and Whites are plunger guns. I'm nuts about them.;)

Last edited:
One thing about muzzleloading is that anyone can "skin a cat" anyway they want too. After I got my first mk 85 I sold my disc extreme and disc elite. All my Knights and Whites are plunger guns. I'm nuts about them.;)
Same here, love my MK-85'S. Never had one that didn't have a great trigger.

Same here, love my MK-85'S. Never had one that didn't have a great trigger.
Then I must have gotten a lemon or else we have differences of opinion on what constitutes a good trigger. Who knows. It's not worth a debate over. From what I understand the new Knights are much better all around.

more then likely your trigger had been set way to heavy as the triggers are fully adjustable, never seen a bad trigger on mk-85 have owned at least 20 of them plus several Black Knights. Knight didnt have many lemons back then their quality control was very good.
Agree with this also
You're right, certainly not worth an argument. just friendly discussion.

Besides the trigger pull you experienced, are you also under the impression that the Disc Extreme or "All new Knights" don't have the Secondary Safety?

I have a BK 92 and it has a great trigger. Have taken many deer with this gun. The only thing I don't like is the lever safety is very easy to move, so I run both safeties when slinging the gun. This gun is very accurate with 90 gn vol of pyrodex loose powder and any Barnes bullet I have tried. I did convert to a musket cap. The gun is retired for now as I have other guns but as a fall back I can use it. Just a little more time cleaning it than the other guns.

Besides the trigger pull you experienced, are you also under the impression that the Disc Extreme or "All new Knights" don't have the Secondary Safety?
No I know they have the secondary safety. But I like the idea of the the bolt of the newer designs (Extreme, Mountaineer, etc.) over the "pull to cock" system

Last edited:
Back