Fluted barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogo

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of a fluted barrel is other than appearance and weight loss? Does it make the rifle shoot any better or is it just another expensive thing to have?

Don't know if it really has much benefit, especially on muzzleloaders, but the flutes create more surface area. Benefits of increased surface area are supposed to be increased rigidity, disperse heating, lighter.

Increased rigidity or strength of a fluted barrel is a fallacy. With two barrels of the same max diameter, the non-fluted barrel is stronger. 'Course it also weighs more.

I believe a fluted barrel may cool quicker, but the decrease in overall mass will also mean that it can heat up faster from rapid shooting.

IMO, the only real benefit is a decrease in weight, with out too much loss in strength.

Plus it looks cool.

looks and weight

fluting only reduces weight & possibly improves balance in the process....increased cooling capacity is pretty much a joke.....reducing metal can only serve to reduce strength and rigidity (think about it).....it DOES look cool!

It may not add strength.But in most cases it will make the barrle more rigid.Just put a fold in a piece of paper and you will make it much more riged.Billy

M A R K E T I N G. As if we really need a reason for another muzzleloader or 6.

I agree it's mostly a looks thing. I do have a fluted barrel or 2. One thing I've found is with deep grooves the barrel can take a little more to give it a good wipedown. You almost have to go into each flute seperatly, say to clean or apply a light coat of oil.

On a fluted barrel you removed material at the same time weakening the barrel ..it looks great ..

Latest posts

Back