First Muzzleloader Hunt and Thank you! - New Mexico Bull

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonelkhunter

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum for getting me ready for this hunt. 6 months ago I had never shot a muzzleloader. The forum helped me choose the appropriate ML, taught me the basics about accessories and shooting, and most importantly, helped me find the best load. Before the hunt, I was averaging 3 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards.

This bull was taken at 215 yards uphill with a T/C Encore 209x50, Leupold VXIII 4x12 scope, 120gr (85gr by weight) of BH209, CCI Magnum 209 primers and 290gr. Barnes TMZ sabots. The bull dropped 10 yards from where he was shot, with a ?pass through? (in my experience typical for Barnes all- copper bullets) at mid lungs.

He is a genetic 5pt bull that will likely score around 310. Was hunting in the Gila National Forest in New Mexico for a late November muzzleloader hunt.

Thanks again to everyone, and a special thanks to cayuga and sabotloader. OEH

005Export.jpg

014E.jpg

052.jpg

We packed the horns and backstraps out about 2 miles. We were able to get a 4/wheeler within 1 miles for the quarters. Fortunately, most of the meat packing was down hill.

You know the old joke about the difference between venision and "dear" meat! OEH

OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!! That is a beautiful bull. And that Barnes still made a pass through at that distance. Shows the advantage of a good bullet. Nice shooting. And congratulations of a beautiful bull.

VERY NICE BULL !!

how many trips did it take to get that bad boy out ?

Rob - on the second trip we each took a rear and front quarter. Again, only about a mile to the 4 wheeler. I would guess packs weighed about 80 lbs. Like I said, all down hill, so not that bad. OEH

Great Bull!!! i shot his twin in "The Gila" in 04 he scores 321 1/8th. Beautiful country and great hunting. Went back the following year and killed a 6X7 that scores 387 near Datil If I could get the wife to move I would live down there.

Awsome bull! What did you shoot him with? Bullet, powder, rifle ect.?
Congratulations

Back