Knight Wolverine Stainless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I have a Knight Wolverine with a stainless 22 inch barrel. There is a Traditions 1x32mm scope on it with quick release rings by Traditions. I was having trigger problems, so I downloaded Knights manual and attempted to fix my problem. Well I am happy to say the fix was good. Who ever owned this rifle abused it. I purchased it cheap, and I could tell they played gun smith with it, as a lot of things were wrong with it. But I got it back to almost normal.

One thing that happened today has never happened before. The rifle has a #11 cap technology, which is fine by me. I never saw the need for them 209 primers all that much. The load was 85 grains of Triple Seven 2f, and a 250 grain .452 XTP in a MMP HPH-24 sabot.

I had shot and something did not sound right. So when I cocked the rifle to look at the nipple area I got a heck of a surprise.

wolverine002.jpg

The nipple split off even to the face of the breech plug. I have never had that happen before. The hammer of course held the nipple in place and no harm no foul as they say, but this really was strange. Good thing I had other breech plugs and nipples so I changed over to a new set up and kept on shooting.

I was only shooting at 50 yards since it is a 1x scope. But overall I wanted to see how the 250 grain XTP did in this rifle.

wolverine009-1.jpg

I was swabbing with spit every other shot. And to end the day I left the rifle fouled and for a third shot took a poke at the little green square to the side of the bull.

wolverine008-1.jpg

I am guessing this is a 50 yards tree stand rifle for sure in my woods. That 85 grains of Triple Seven 2f and that 250 grain XTP has a pretty good bark to it. Should be all that is needed.

Dave, so the threaded part of the nipple stayed in the breech plug? I don't know if I even ever heard of such a thing. How ever you were probably pretty well safe anyway as the flash hole of the nipple was still in the plug. Or at least I assume it was from the pics

Yes the threaded part stayed in the breech plug. The noise it made is hard to explain. Almost like a second boom snap. But the hammer held the loose part of the nipple against the breech plug, so I was safe.

Just think.. what if I were out somewhere hunting, and only took the one breech plug and nipple. Over all it is hard to beat a Knight Wolverine in my book. They are a tuff little rifle that just flat out shoots.

:shock: Thank Goodness You were and are OK that could have been a bad sitchuation right there ! :shock:

But on a good NOTE those Wolverines are just flat out Shooters AWESOME ! :yeah: :yeah:

I love mine I have a SS .45cal witch is just about my Favorite gun to shoot and Hunt with !
And my .50 cal. I Hated to but just to many , So I listed it FS on the Classifieds and it is a Awesome shooter as well , Conicals and Saboted Bullets !

cayuga

Dave I have had this happen twice and I threw the third one away. All of then were the type of nipple that has a hollowed area up to the flash hole. I can remember the brand name. Now I only use nipples that are solid to the base.

I believe the nipple suffers some stress right at the point where the walls are the thinnest at the top of the cavity..

This was the breech plug and nipple that came with the rifle. You can bet the next one will be a stainless steel hot shot nipple.

Ouch! That really could have ruined your day. Glad everything worked out okay, and even better, it shoots good too!

Latest posts

Back