Elk quartering toward shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethical/deadly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jfujan

Reaction score
Is a hard quartering toward shot with a 420 grain bullet ethical/deadly on an elk? (obviously not preferred) Anyone with first hand experience? Lets say 75 yards or less.
Screenshot_20230801_094334_Gallery.jpg

With enough Oomph in your charge for penetration = deadly.
Aim off center of brisket on side closest to you. I killed a bull moose with a quartering to shot just before he was going into the woods. He only went 30 yards. Not my favorite angle by no means but deadly. You need a stout bullet with good penetration. A brisket is hard to get thru. Never even attempt this shot with a round ball. Ask me how I know!

I hit my bull last week quartering towards me at 190 yards. The 290 Barnes TMZ went in just on the inside of the shoulder and went out the opposite side just into the rear leg meat. He ran about 30-40 yards and started to stumble like he was going to go down and I put another in him at 230 through both front shoulders. He sure looked like he was going to go down after the first shot, but I didn't wait to find out. Considering it traveled through the whole body I would say it could be a lethal shot with the right bullet and load.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back