Dupont

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

IMG_3125.jpegDoes anyone know what year DuPont stopped producing powder at the Wilmington plant. Had a call today about some muzzle loader items for sale so went and took a look. No luck on the mentioned items but retrieved some DuPont 2F and 3F from a dumpster where it had been thrown. It was an estate sale and they were clearing everything out to sell the property.

I have cans marked Goex, Gearhart Owen, DuPont and Gearhart Owen industries. Most of them still full. I shoot all of it regularly.

Last edited:
I have an unopened 20# metal keg of DuPont 1F. Got this from an old Schuetzen shooter forty some years ago. I know 1F is considered too course by todays standards but back in the black powder Schuetzen days it was widely used. I’ve shot a couple pounds of it from smaller cans and it’s really nice stuff. Doesn’t foul much but seems to shoot softer without any loss in velocity. Some guys even take this powder and screen it to finer grades. I’ll never open the keg as I still have about 1 1/2 pounds so someday I’ll sell it off. I was told the keg was dated from the 1940’s.
Rick

That’s good to know. Mine are all metal cans. I have a hard time walking by one when I see it. Most of what I have left was given for free. I have shot about 20 pounds of this older powder along with several pounds of newer stuff over the last five or so years and it’s good powder. The pic is of last full cans that I have left.

If you dug those out of a dumpster, I'd call it hitting the jackpot.

Back in the day, shootables were sometimes referred to as " galena and DuPont"
Don't forget Curtis and Harvey! And can we have a moment of silence for Elephant?
Shot many a yank, and 4 yankee deer, with Elephant and my P53...
Goex. Doesn't have much of a ring to it. Glad it's coming back though!

I was wrong my keg is 25 lbs.. This was the last one that Amazon had. I had two of them but one went to a cousin in Nevada who competes with small bore cannons. He has three made from old sections of propeller shaft I got him from salvage ops. One of his light cannons is bored to shoot hydraulic lifters scrounged off the ground in junk yards. Incredibly accurate and punches holes in 55 gal drums out so far you need glasses to see. He uses one of those old big Barr & Stroud range finders. They went through a keg in no time at all.
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpeg
    IMG_1397.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1399.jpeg
    IMG_1399.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1398.jpeg
    IMG_1398.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back