More BH209 Experimentation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddpipkin

Reaction score
Remember these?

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:54 am
After my last range session, I cleaned the Omega with Hoppes #9 as suggested by Western Powders. After cleaning, I wiped the bore with tight-fitting patches, three times. Then once more with a double patch - REAL tight, to ensure that the bore was dry.

Next visit to the range, my first four shots (84 gr. by weight of Blackhorn 209, 250 Barnes T-SF, in T-C Super-Glide sabots) scattered wildly. Then the next four made a 1.4" group, dead center.

I certainly can't fire four rounds before each hunt to get my rifle settled in and ready.

I have heard of some shooters swabbing the bore with alcohol before loading. Does this really help dry the bore so the first shot goes where it should?

Any other suggestions?

AND

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:19 pm
I tried leaving the bore fouled after my very first trip to the range. After four days in this Alabama Gulf Coast salt air and humidity, I could see a thin brown film at the muzzle. It may have been only oxidation of the fouling itself, but it certainly looked like rust! Even if not, it was enough to scare me away from trying that again!!!

The experiment has continued.

I wanted to see if BH209 was REALLY "non-fouling".

I left the Omega uncleaned for a full year.

Gave it a shot of Wipe-out foam bore cleaner, let it sit 5 minutes. 4 dry patches.

The bore is mirror-bright.

Then to the range.

I forgot to wipe the bore with an alcohol swab, and, I could only get off six shots before it got dark.

First shot - Dead on for windage, 5" high

Second shot - Dead on for windage, 2" low

Third shot - Dead on for windage, 1" low

Fourth shot - 4" right, 4" high

Fifth shot - 1" left, 3.5" high

Sixth shot - 1" right, 1.5" low.

I'm going to clean with Hoppe's tonight, and remember to dry the bore well with an alcohol swab, then try a few more shots tomorrow.

Everything tight? Maybe back off the load a bit, everything I shoot BH in does real well with 90 grs. by volume.

BH 209

Check your seating pressure I set the bullet very firm on the powder and use a fairly tight wad. That can cause inconsistency. I am not saying that is what it is just I noticed this problem with my encore.

You left your Omega uncleaned for a whole year. You are one brave soul.

That does not sound like the problem is BH, more like the sabot bullet combination is wrong. Some powders require a nice tight bullet sabot combination and some wad pressure I use 60# wad pressure and tight enough bullet sabot combination that it takes a 6"1" 200pound man both hands and concentrated effort to load to 60 pounds wad pressure in one stroke with a very good range rod. I also have 3 different guns all TC that will shoot under 1 inch when ever the shooter does a good job.
It does take some work some times to get the first two shots accurate and in that one inch group. I can explain how I do that but until you solve the problem that is causing you to shoot all over the target it would not do any good.
As a rule of thumb any bullet the proper length for the twist of your gun with any load of powder that will give you acceptable velocity for that bullet and that twist with a sabot bullet combination that fits the barrel properly [ this will vary as the tolerance on muzzle loader barrels is gigantic] should group in less than 4.5 inches. When you can normally achieve 3 inches with most trial combo's then its time to look for the one that your gun likes.
The other things that can cause your problem :
loose or unevenly tightened mounting screws.
for gun action or scope mounts loose rings
screws to long in scope mounts
not seating the load all the way down, or no wad pressure because of to loose sabot bullet combination.
a sabot bullet combination so tight you have to pound on it to get it down.

I dont know...but if I didnt clean my Omega for a whole year I aint expecting much come range time. It dont matter how good BH209 is.

I shot my Sidekick the day before opening day, because it likes a fouled bore. I left it loaded and outside for four days, then came home and left it loaded for three weeks.

I unloaded it, no rust, no problems..(Ah, BH209)..

But.....I did find something interesting...And not good, cause it could have been worse...A piece of mud stuck to the FPB...

PB010120.jpg

Dang that Ida!!!

A stinkin' hurricane in NOVEMBER?!?!?!

Obviously didn't get to the range today, and won't tomorrow. Working Wednesday and Thursday. Youth deer hunt weekend Friday through Monday.(taking vacation to take my son hunting)

Then more vacation for ML deer season 17-20. Will have to give up a half-day on the 17th to go to the range to make sure the Omega, after proper cleaning, is where it was last year.

Latest posts

Back