• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE Desperately Need #11 Percussion Caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwittersDownEast

Deer stand snack savant.T/C Triumph BC/Ardesa.54
Reaction score
So- I just an acquired a smoothbore that I was hoping to Turkey hunt with this weekend. However I am having trouble finding #11 percussion caps. Even if I could afford to buy 1000 of them (which I really can’t, as I am having to buy EVERYTHING to get started- to this point I’ve only used an inline muzzleloader for deer hunting- such as powder measure, shot card, fiber wads, nipples wrench, shot etc.) I can’t get them shipped here in time to pattern the gun and hunt. I’m in Eastern, North Carolina. anyone know where I can find a single tin of #11 caps somewhere close to me? Yea- I realize the desparte nature of this post - so be easy on me

I'd be checking all the sporting goods stores and the ma and pa shops around the area! I haven't seen any around here in S.Ohio but I really haven't been paying attention for em. I haven't used a #11 cap for a long time! I was having trouble finding 209 primers for a while myself!

So- I just an acquired a smoothbore that I was hoping to Turkey hunt with this weekend. However I am having trouble finding #11 percussion caps. Even if I could afford to buy 1000 of them (which I really can’t, as I am having to buy EVERYTHING to get started- to this point I’ve only used an inline muzzleloader for deer hunting- such as powder measure, shot card, fiber wads, nipples wrench, shot etc.) I can’t get them shipped here in time to pattern the gun and hunt. I’m in Eastern, North Carolina. anyone know where I can find a single tin of #11 caps somewhere close to me? Yea- I realize the desparte nature of this post - so be easy on me
Honestly I would do what everyone else suggests ,but wait till next season and get your loads figured out before then ! This is not like shooting my double barrel Lefever and it will save crippling a bunch of turkeys , as a good load is something some folks (NEVER) achieve and definitely never happens over nite /your time frame/ED

Wait- memorizing the Skychief load/method doesn’t qualify me to hunt with my smoothie right away?!? LOL. I appreciate the feedback. I was planning a marathon two days of range time to try and get somewhere in the ballpark of being ready- although I realize it’s gonna probably going to take a little more than that. I guess I will keep the odds in ‘ole Tom’s favor and pull the bow out for opening weekend. Thanks again for the feedback. I have enjoyed starting my smoothie education here on the forums.

Man if you would have posted this last week I could have given you a tin on my way from PA to FL. I have a brand new unopened carton of #11s back up north.
I did read somewhere where a guy pulled the bullets on 22 lrs, dumped the powder, cut and trimmed the casings and they worked well.

Wait- memorizing the Skychief load/method doesn’t qualify me to hunt with my smoothie right away?!? LOL. I appreciate the feedback. I was planning a marathon two days of range time to try and get somewhere in the ballpark of being ready- although I realize it’s gonna probably going to take a little more than that. I guess I will keep the odds in ‘ole Tom’s favor and pull the bow out for opening weekend. Thanks again for the feedback. I have enjoyed starting my smoothie education here on the forums.
I suspect you won’t have any trouble finding a load that will work at close range. I’d give it a try if you can find some caps.

I don’t know what you’re shooting but did you consider a MagSpark to use 209s or a musket cap nipple?
it’s an Ardesa .54 caliber/28 gauge. I have a ton of 209s for my T/C. I now have to start researching what a MagSpark is. I assume it’s a conversion of some kind. Back to research mode!!

A mag spark adapter replaces the #11 nipple. It's an enclosed system that screws in where your existing nipple goes. It uses a 209 primer. I haven't changed my sidelocks to them but it's in the short term plan. When you start loading and shooting your smoothbore remember its not a 3.5 " magnum. Less powder more lead. If you try the skychief loading, follow it exactly as prescribed.

Really appreciate all the feedback and assistance!
Have you read the thread about using the plastic toy gun caps from a dollar store?
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/caps-at-the-dollar-store.56837/

Back