Traditions Penetrator Ballistic Tip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Anyone use these bullets? What type of bullet are they? The description says hollow point but it also says it has a red ballistic tip.

AJ said:
Anyone use these bullets? What type of bullet are they? The description says hollow point but it also says it has a red ballistic tip.

I honestly don't know a THING about them! I nominate YOU to field-test them! :lol:

Ok Chuck, I did that. I figured for the price, it would be hard to pass on them. I ordered 6 packages of the Traditions Penetrator Ballistic Tip even though they are .54 calber, I usually toss the supplied sabot and replace them with Harvester sabots. they arrived and I was pleasently suprised. It appears to be the old T/C PTX bullet. They are copper jacketed and measure .542" diameter and weigh in at 250 grains.

penetrator1.jpg

penetrator2.jpg

I did not have a lot of time to play with them. I shot some from my Omega and 120 gr of BH209 and they shot decently enough. This is a 2" group at 100 yards. I did not try different powder weights to see what is optimum for them. They don't have the higher BC of the SST, but for shots under 150 yards, they will be fine. For under $23 shipped for 120 bullets, they will work just fine.

penetrator3.jpg
[/url]

AJ

Just orderd 200 of these to try Great price , Like you I will swap out the sabots for Harvester CR sabots .

Ron

Yeah that's a Hornady PTX. That really is a good bullet and is typically one of the more accurate bullets around:

2005rangepics%20216.jpg

And although a little on the fragile size, it works GREAT on big game:

2006huntingpics%20130.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on these bullets. I have some TC 300 gr. with these bullets that have shot better than anything else I've tried in my Remington 700ML.

How did you find these? I checked out the link you provided, and it went directly to these, but I can't determine if these are available in 300 gr.

Nope, I did not see any 300 gr bullets available, or I would have bought them. I often check out the closeouts for hunting companies. You can get some great bargains.

I just ordered 10 packs of 20 of these. Thanks for letting me know about these.

question???

I am assuming that you can just discard the supplied 54 cal sabot and drop it into a 50 cal harvester Short black sabot....

I currently use the Hornady 250 gr SST in my T/C encore

The PTX was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Nice deer chuck!

Re: question???

slayerextreme said:
I am assuming that you can just discard the supplied 54 cal sabot and drop it into a 50 cal harvester Short black sabot....

I currently use the Hornady 250 gr SST in my T/C encore

Anyone not needing the 54 cal sabots can send them to me. I shoot a 54. I'll at least pay the postage. :D

I received the 10 packs of 20 each of these bullets yesterday. Went and shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards. Don't shoot as good as 300 grain bullets in my rifle, but I have enough that I can work with these. I expect to get them shooting better.

I am not sure if you guys cost me money or save me money.

Bought 90 barnes spitfires for about $55 from Knight.com.

Bought 100 of these for $19. These are less than you can buy XTP's for by about $10. Should make a good plinkin type bullet.

Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back